AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Location Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm targeting a few places in and around Menlo Park, which is a city in the San Mateo county of California. The radius targeting is set for 17 miles around the location.

I've excluded all the states and other counties, and have set the advanced location targeting as:

2 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mainak,

If you have the keyword, "dentist" or "Dentist near" on phrase then that could be why it showed up. Since someone within your targeted location searched for a dentist that is why your ad showed regardless of having Santa Nella in the keyword search. 

I recommend adding Santa Nella - along with any other cities you do not want searched - as negative keywords so if someone within your targeted location searches for dentists in those areas, then your ads will not show.

I hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mainak,

I'd also change your advanced Target and Exclude location settings from the options you posted above. Current settings will allow for your ad copy to display to any user located quite far away who uses a location name in his search query, identical to any of the locations  covered by your geo-target. That's a bit risky.

Best,

Lakatos

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Mainak,

I agree with Lakatos. In my experience, these types of products work best if you only target people who are actually in the vicinity.

The few potential clients who are searching from elsewhere are not worth it for all the irrelevant queries you will get.

Re: Problem with Location Targeting

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi 

use advanced location targeting - that is if your search campaign  has all features. and select target people in location only. 

regards,

zaby 

My Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mainak Banerjee,

I agree with Mainak's suggestion you can exclude the searches by adding the location term as negative. In addition, I suggest to change the Advanced targeting as well. under Target you can set: People in my targeted location, since it was a local business (dentist).

Surely, it will block the unwanted traffic from other locations and your Ad won't show for queries with non-targeting locations.