AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pro-Tips for Improving Gmail Sponsored Promotions Campaign?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hey PPCers, 

I recently ran my first Gmail campaign. I used the domains of competitors and companies that are popular but not actual competitors but offer complimentary technology. 

After about a week of the running the campaign I got an incredible amount of clicks for a very low CPC but then only realized it was clicks to open the ad and there were virtually no 2nd clicks to my landing page. 

Has anyone experienced the same? What can i do to improve this? 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua R
February 2016

Re: Pro-Tips for Improving Gmail Sponsored Promotions Campaign?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, what you have mentioned here is something that is a by product of running a GSP campaign. A click that you see against your GSP campaign in the interface is actually clicks on your Text ad i.e. the precursor to your actual GSP creative opening in the Gmail Interface. I am assuming when you say "there were virtually no 2nd clicks to my landing page.", you checked the "Gmail: Clicks to Website" metric in your interface? If not, allow me to let you know that this metric lets you understand how many people clicked on your creative to go to your website. this can occur upon clicking on the submit button of your Form fill on the creative or your "Know More" or any other CTA that is placed on the creative.

If this number is almost negligible next to the number of clicks then you have a problem with your creative. This usually implies that users that are intrigued enough to click on your text ad are not being intrigued in to going to your website. It could be because of a disconnect between the preview text ad and the actual offer on the GSP creative. You need to check this and revise it, if necessary.

Also, in case you think your offer is great and is no way that atleast a few of your audiences will not click on your creative, i suggest you do some digging in the HTML coding of the creative (or get help to do it) and figure out if in fact the "Click Tag" which is responsible for recording clicks on your creatives is implemented properly. This is something only someone with knowledge of HTML coding can help you out with.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua R
February 2016

Re: Pro-Tips for Improving Gmail Sponsored Promotions Campaign?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, what you have mentioned here is something that is a by product of running a GSP campaign. A click that you see against your GSP campaign in the interface is actually clicks on your Text ad i.e. the precursor to your actual GSP creative opening in the Gmail Interface. I am assuming when you say "there were virtually no 2nd clicks to my landing page.", you checked the "Gmail: Clicks to Website" metric in your interface? If not, allow me to let you know that this metric lets you understand how many people clicked on your creative to go to your website. this can occur upon clicking on the submit button of your Form fill on the creative or your "Know More" or any other CTA that is placed on the creative.

If this number is almost negligible next to the number of clicks then you have a problem with your creative. This usually implies that users that are intrigued enough to click on your text ad are not being intrigued in to going to your website. It could be because of a disconnect between the preview text ad and the actual offer on the GSP creative. You need to check this and revise it, if necessary.

Also, in case you think your offer is great and is no way that atleast a few of your audiences will not click on your creative, i suggest you do some digging in the HTML coding of the creative (or get help to do it) and figure out if in fact the "Click Tag" which is responsible for recording clicks on your creatives is implemented properly. This is something only someone with knowledge of HTML coding can help you out with.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"