AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Prevent tools e.g. SEMRush from showing Adwords info ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I would like to prevent my competitors to see my adwords data on tools like SEMrush, SPyfu, etc...

Basically, I would like to prvent these tools to gather data on my adwords actions (what keywords I am bidding on, estimation of my spending, my ads descriptions, etc...).

I am not sure if it has to be dealt within the Robot txt.file on my landing pages  (for example, if I tell the SEMrush robot not to crawl my landing pages, will SEM stop showing data for any king of add re directing on this landing pages ?))

I know that my competitors will still be able to monitor my Adword activity by just looking at the keywords on google and see where and how often I bid, but I would like to avoid giving them the info on a silver plate...

Any ideas ? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Prevent tools e.g. SEMRush from showing Adwords info ?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Phillipe

Those tools like SemRush, are NOT running bots on your site to gather information, so a Robots.txt will not be effective IMHO

These tools extrapolate data from the Search Results themselves, to compare SEO rankings, what domains and ads are running on what keywords through API's I believe.

I am not aware of any program you can use to stop this as it is those scripts running data on search results. I do know however those scripts and reports are are rarely accurate in there estimations,

If a competitor wanted to see your ad copy and keywords you bid on all they have to so is search keywords themselves, to see the live results. So these tools are just automated "help" for a those inclined to pay for the service, rather then do it manually.

Once again, I don't know anyway to stop it.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Jean D;

AdWords / Google does not provide any of your account information to 3rd parties. This is part of the TOS.

I think those tools only gather information  by running heavy duty scripts on various keywords, and checking the ads shown against the keywords. 

Let me ping @Eric Gehler on this.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer. I know that Adwords will not communicate my info to third parties, but I would still like to forbid thrid parties to collect info through automated script. Because I forbade all the robots on my sites but SEMrush is still displaying an estimaet of my adwords expenses and all my ads...and I do not like that...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Phillipe

Those tools like SemRush, are NOT running bots on your site to gather information, so a Robots.txt will not be effective IMHO

These tools extrapolate data from the Search Results themselves, to compare SEO rankings, what domains and ads are running on what keywords through API's I believe.

I am not aware of any program you can use to stop this as it is those scripts running data on search results. I do know however those scripts and reports are are rarely accurate in there estimations,

If a competitor wanted to see your ad copy and keywords you bid on all they have to so is search keywords themselves, to see the live results. So these tools are just automated "help" for a those inclined to pay for the service, rather then do it manually.

Once again, I don't know anyway to stop it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, another source that they get data from (I presume this is in the underbelly of the system cause they do request it) is quite simply your own account when you sign up and authenticate them.