AdWords
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Prevent showing own ads in in-video ads in the embedded youtube player

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Google Adwords Team,

we are booking large campaigns for our site and let the banner-ads display in youtube-videos. The problem is that we also embed the youtube player on our site and our own ads are shown on our own site - and that very very often (btw. great targeting). But unfortunately that is a very bad user experience and also cost us a lot of money. Is there a way to prevent this behaviors? 

Thanks a lot

Vincent

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Prevent showing own ads in in-video ads in the embedded youtube player

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Vincent,

A great way of solving this problem is to exclude the IP addresses of yourself and your company. Most times excluding network IP addresses will help your employees from seeing these ads while on that network. A good habit to perform in Analytics and AdWords as well.

Here is the official How To https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Vincent,

I'm going to assume that even if someone is already on your site, when they click the ad inside the video they are taken to a different sales page and not the page they are currently viewing. This is a great thing from my perspective and you should have a very warm lead on your hand and they should be easier to put into your sales funnel.

The amount of spend is most likely going to be negligible and I'm sure you'd rather have your ad in there over a competitors ad on your site.

You can also EXCLUDE your own domain from the campaign targets. By excluding your own website your ads will no longer show on your website.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi jordan,

that's a good thing if I want to exclude our employees, but thats not the problem. Our employees are urged to not click on the ads. We want that our users don't see that ads. But thanks for your answer Smiley Happy

Best

Vincent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jacob,
thanks for your answer, unfortunately we are not selling a product, we want to drive traffic on our platform and want that our user watch videos e.g. youtube videos. So it is very important that our own ads will not show in that embedded videos.

Are you sure, that the excluding for in-video-ads works? I think that only works for Adsense, or am I wrong?

Best
Vincent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So there is no solution for the problem?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes you can exclude placements in video ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you tell me, how that is done?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
See - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456100?hl=en-GB

basically you are creating a negative placement for the campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I got feedback from our campaign manager:
---------------
new to me that the iframe knows where it is embedded... but we will try
ah... thats for video ads...
we are not doing video ads
not possible!
---------------

So I don't know if we can solve this problem...