AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to move keywords around ad groups and campaigns and maintain performance history?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign which I'm thinking of taking on board [client work], spend is around $3000 a month. But the campaign has 4000+ keywords and it's all in one Ad group. I asked the client who created the ad campaign because it looks like a complete mess and done by software. But he insists that someone else has done this.

There are lots of broad match queries and misapplication of BMM. Only the first keyword has a modifier. e.g.

+how to respond to a lawsuit

+response to lawsuit.

Which doesn't make any sense because the important kws are lawsuit in above and that should have a modifer in front and not the genereic "how" and "response" kws.

I will need to completely restructure this campaign and build from ground up. Or just move the keywords into seperate ad groups, is it possible to move a kw from one ad group to another whilst retaining the conversion, CTR, CPC and other data? Or will I lose them on movement?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
July 2012

Re: Possible to move keywords around ad groups and campaigns and maintain performance history?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello morecaffeine,

When you pause a keyword in one ad group and introduce it in another ad group, the account will start building the stats from that time period onwards for this keyword. However, the old history will remain there with that old ad group where you have paused it till that time. 

Sot, it's actually good because when you introduce this in new ad group and after gathering data, you can compare whether the keyword performed good in the older ad group or is performing better in the new one.

But, as you said in your case, 4000+ keywords in one ad group is certainly a big mess.

My suggestion would be to look at the all time report of your keywords.

Identify the highly converting keywords out of them.

Look at the Search Terms Report and see what match type performed the best.

Then re-arrange the keywords in theme based ad groups containing 10-15 relevant keywords if possible.

Try to create the campaign based on the services which your client is offering.

Use good number of phrase and exact matches because this will include their close variants too as per recent keyword matching changes.

Identify good number of irrelevant terms and introduce them as negative keywords at ad group and keyword level to achive the relevant traffic.

Then keep on fine tuning the campaigns on regular basis so that your client achive more business.

If not, then do enable the Conversion Tracking and implement it across goal conversion thanks pages so that you can take strategic decisions.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
July 2012

Re: Possible to move keywords around ad groups and campaigns and maintain performance history?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello morecaffeine,

When you pause a keyword in one ad group and introduce it in another ad group, the account will start building the stats from that time period onwards for this keyword. However, the old history will remain there with that old ad group where you have paused it till that time. 

Sot, it's actually good because when you introduce this in new ad group and after gathering data, you can compare whether the keyword performed good in the older ad group or is performing better in the new one.

But, as you said in your case, 4000+ keywords in one ad group is certainly a big mess.

My suggestion would be to look at the all time report of your keywords.

Identify the highly converting keywords out of them.

Look at the Search Terms Report and see what match type performed the best.

Then re-arrange the keywords in theme based ad groups containing 10-15 relevant keywords if possible.

Try to create the campaign based on the services which your client is offering.

Use good number of phrase and exact matches because this will include their close variants too as per recent keyword matching changes.

Identify good number of irrelevant terms and introduce them as negative keywords at ad group and keyword level to achive the relevant traffic.

Then keep on fine tuning the campaigns on regular basis so that your client achive more business.

If not, then do enable the Conversion Tracking and implement it across goal conversion thanks pages so that you can take strategic decisions.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Wow, show your client the output of a search term report so they can understand what they've actually been paying for with that $3000 a month.  Perhaps there's only $1000 worth of useful traffic?  Then explain how you'd redesign the account from the ground up.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the great response pankaj

I've already looked at their search terms report and identified all the kws that have cost more than $5 and not resulted in any conversions and just by scrubbing these I can save them $500 a month, I have identified indivdual keywords which very high spend ($150 a month+) and made a case for isolating them into ad groups of their own to customise ads for them.

Also their daily ad budget is $200 but they're only spending around $100 per day average which tells me that they have saturated their market (their kws are pretty exhaustive and the competitiion is very low with average ad position 2 with average CPC around 30 cents. So the ads are appearing on first page and aren't restricted by budget.)

The client is teethering on whether to hire me or not, submitted a counter off for management fees and did say I'm making the most sense out of all the other bids so hopefully he picks me.

But it was too low for me to spend time microing 4000+ keywords and close to double that many search terms in the search terms report.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@RBall

it's not too bad because the competiton is super low so they can get away with that. CPA is $13 for a $35 product. But it's a software so low overheards and margins is pretty much profit. But I can bring these volumes down to $9 CPA easy, making their business more profitable.