AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to block/lower bid for location-specific searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a business that repairs widgets from all over the world.  My conversion rate for the exact or broad match of "widget repairs" is excellent, but when a search includes a targeted location like "widget repairs in (city)" the conversion rate plummets because that customer is not expecting to have to ship their widget across the globe to have it fixed.

Is it possible to either block my ads for targeted locations or reduce my bid without having to add a negative keyword for "in"?  My organic listing is very likely to be in the top 2 anyway and these under-desirable searches are expensive.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible to block/lower bid for location-specific searches?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Stephen,

I would suggest grouping all these type of keyword into their own specific campaign. Then you can either exclude those locations altogether or bid modify the location. (you can use the shared budget feature for these two campaigns so you don't have to worry about dividing up your budget)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply! However, based on my understanding of AdWords I don't think it's what I'm looking for:

I want someone in New York to be able to see my ad if they search for "widget repairs", but not if they search for "widget repairs in New York".

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;
First, set your advanced location targeting to "people in my location only". So, if  "New York" is included in the query by users  outside New York, the ad  will not be shown.  
Now, be aware that if a user is physically located in New York, may see that ad (if it wins the auction), if  "New York" is included  the query or not. (i.e adding the location in a search query, by  a user who is physically located in the region, is a redundancy)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is closer, and I appreciate your input; still, it would be rare that someone would be looking for "widget repair" outside of their close location.

As a brute force attempt I've created a negative keyword list of states, counties and cities and now that I've spent a mind-numbing hour getting it setup I am kind of hoping someone doesn't have a slicker solution...