AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Poor performance when I split out search and display networks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi folks!

I used to have a unique campaign using both search and display networks. But two weeks ago I split into separate campaigns, one for search, another for display. I have created many specific ad groups and a huge range of related keywords. I have also used modified broad match in most of cases.

Since it, the number of clicks and impressions of my search campaign decreased a lot, while my costs and average cpc increased. I know that when you use modified broad match it is normal, but since I realise it, I came back to broad match, actually trying to mix broad, modified and exact.

Is it normal? How long takes to back up the good performance mainly in the search network?

Thanks a million!

Fred

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Poor performance when I split out search and display networks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fred,

So after you segmented Search and Display into their own campaigns and added more to the search (new groups, new keywords) your search network traffic dropped?  Are you sure?  Were you comparing the volume to the old campaigns (the mix of search and DN) while segmenting the traffic so you can see exactly what search volumes both search and Display were previously getting?  i.e. are you sure you are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges? Smiley Happy

If you went from broad to +broad +match +modified I would expect your traffic volumes to fall becuase you are limiting the search queries you can appear on now.

So you are back to broad match?  Do you regularly watch your search query reports to see exactly what search terms your ads are being served for?  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=68034

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your answer and tips.

I just realise that the problem is in the number of clicks, not impressions. I am comparing the volume only from search network of the old campaign (the mix of search and DN) with the new campaign (just search). Just to illustrate, my old campaign got around 20,000 impressions and around 900 clicks only on search network per day. Now, the average of the new campaign is around 22,000 impressions and around 700 clicks. So I don't understand why I am paying higher CPC and consequently less clicks.

I always watch my search query and try to use the terms used by the users in my keyword lists. Now I am using broad match in most cases, but still using broad match modified with some keywords. I discovered that sometimes the same keyword, but with differente match, the first page bid is the same, but the top page bid is higher using modified broad match.

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Fred 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

compeition and bidding will differ on different match types so you will see differences in TPBE for different match types.

As for the CPC's issues - since you just reorganized the account I would give things some time to fall into place - Say 7 - 14 days.  I have found when you pull campaigns apart and put them back together it can mess with the groove the account was in but if you have everything setup right it should fall back into place within 2 weeks.

Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So I will wait 2 more weeks to see the results. During this period I will keep trying to improve the campaign, adding and deleting keywords, reviewing the ads an so on.

Thank you Kim!

Now I have to find out what's happening with my DN campaigns (my other topic here in the community)!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Fred, another thing that came to my mind, and which I'm also testing currently in a new campaign is the Budget / CPC ratio. Sometimes, just as on the Search Network, ads don't show if there's a chance to use the whole budget very quickly. AdWords "swears" to use only up to 120% of your daily budget in one day, and if your CPC / Budget combination only allows for a few clicks, in a market with a lot of potential impressions and clicks, the system refrains from showing your ads.

Therefore you may want to try to increase your daily budget a lot, while monitoring clicks (in Google Analytics for instance, where they appear sooner than in AdWords), to make sure you're not spending more than you're willing to.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin!

Thanks for your tips.

I agree that the budget can be a problem. I will try to increase my daily budget and see what happens.

Last weekend I got few impressions, around 85. It still low, but better than 0 I was used to see.

Fred

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Fred, 
You might find this discussion interesting. Feel free to add or ask questions. 
Best,

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Zee, I'll check it out.

Best,

Fred