AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Poor Ad Relevance Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Google has recently demolished a number of our keywords to a Quality Score of 1/10 and 2/10 due to 'poor ad relevance'.

I think it is because the keywords being bid on are brand names but they are trademarked and therefore cannot go in the text.

How can this issue be resolved?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Poor Ad Relevance Issue

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

One thing that might help here would be to ask the trademark owner for trademark authorisation to use their term in your ad texts. If the trademark owner is willing to fill in this form on your behalf then you would be able to use the term in your ads with no problem, which would increase the relevancy of your ads and in turn increase your QS. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

You said that recently Quality Score (QS) was reduced by Google. How was the QS before this low number?

Did you check the relevancy of your ad with respect to the keywords you were bidding on?

How is the CTR for the those keywords? Did it reduce in the past sometime for your low QS keywords?

What kind of Search Terms are recorded by your campaigns using those terms? 

Please note that CTR is the key. If it would have start reducing, this would have surely impacted the QS.

I would advice you to look for the variation of those keywords and try to find some alternative keywords.

Try different match types, probably more of the phrase and exact matches in order to improve on your CTR.

Look for the negative terms and add them regularly so as to increase the relevancy of online traffic reaching your website.

You might be interested in reading this reference and follow the practices explained.

Lastly, I am not sure where you are actually advertising these trademark terms because there are different policies for different regions around the world in terms of trademark. There are regions where Adwords investigate both keywords and text ads for any trademark related terms and penalize them if found in violation. I would encourage you to read this policy.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

One thing that might help here would be to ask the trademark owner for trademark authorisation to use their term in your ad texts. If the trademark owner is willing to fill in this form on your behalf then you would be able to use the term in your ads with no problem, which would increase the relevancy of your ads and in turn increase your QS. 

Hope this helps!

A.