AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Please allow AdWords to exclude a specific Operating System for desktop campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have seen plenty of comments about how to do this for mobile campaigns, and that is not what I'm looking for.

I believe I have a competitor who is using either a VPN or Proxy service in order to click on my ads.  My understanding is that services similar to digital ocean are likely using Linux Operating Systems.  If I could block all of my Ads from a particular OS, in this case Linux, on desktops it would be very useful for me as a PPC Company.  Over 70% of my visitors are on desktops, not tablets or phones, and I feel that this is something that should be addressed.

I have seen several answers from Google searches all stating this is limited to mobile devices, and dating as far back as 2012 (based on your search suggestions while creating this post).

Why has this not been addressed?

Thank you,

Keith V

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Please allow AdWords to exclude a specific Operating System for desktop campaigns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Keith,

Linux only accounts for 1-2% of desktops, and probably even less share of Google searches. With the exception of OS-specific products (like peripherals and software), AdWords users would typically have no use for limiting impressions by OS.

Regarding click-fraud, Google offers there own back-end systems that catch the majority of clicks that aren't genuine. For those they miss, Google offers the ability to block IP addresses.

If a competitor is savvy enough to vary IP addresses, blocking an OS would probably not stop them either.

If you know the location of your suspected click fraudster, you could exclude their location from your campaigns.

Re: Please allow AdWords to exclude a specific Operating System for desktop campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

A quick search shows that Hide My [censored] has over 120,000 IP's, I believe your block list is limited to 500?

While I understand that Linux is a small percentage of Desktops, it is a very large portion of Servers that VPN's and Proxies use.

I also understand your comments about your click fraud detection system, and appreciate that you work with us in catching these invalid clicks, but this is a reactive measure, not a proactive measure. I would like to eliminate being clicked out of my AdWords campaign in 15 minutes because a competitor is using one of these services. I would also not have to wait on being reimbursed, or having to wait for your click fraud investigation team to perform an analysis of my servers data.

Just because a competitor is savvy enough to vary an IP address doesn't accurately reflect his or her ability to alter an OS, especially when you consider the cost of a Windows License vs a Linux License (which I believe is $0) for a server.

I would not be here if the simple, and obvious solution, of blocking a few IP's or locations was solving my issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2% of 3.5 billion searches per day (according to a quick google search) would be about 70,000,000 searches. That should really put this into perspective!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that blocking an OS is valid on all devices, regardless of the percentage, is a feature that should be incorporated in order to allow AdWords users full control over their campaigns, even if it is only 1-2%.

Thank you,

Keith V

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Keith,

Regarding blocking an OS. It is very simple to pretend that you are using a different OS in a browser - do a search for "User-Agent Spoofing".

As I am certain Google won't introduce new measures that will help you with your problem (as that would be admitting the problem exists), you need to find another way of thwarting your competitors...

Stop your ads for a few weeks, and they might forget about you.
If there is a set time of day they are attacking, day-part your ads around that time
Use a negative for the precise search query they are attacking you with

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rob,

Thank you again for your reply, and I appreciate your effort.

I have already stopped, started, run for 15 minute increments, etc... I have used every option I could think of. I need to target desktops as that has the highest conversion, and click rate for the products we sell.

It seems as if this would be something simple (for Google) to implement since they are already checking for the OS.

Thank you for your time,

Keith V