AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Placement of ad on search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our adwords Comstock Lock ad previously came up in the shaded area at the top of the search results page for locksmiths in reno nv.  We sometimes came up on the side IN ADDITION.  Now, we are no longer coming up in the shaded area (for at least the last week.  It still comes up on the side but that is not good enough.  Especially if someone is using a mobile device it does not show up until further down on the page.  Please advise how we get it back into the shaded area.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placement of ad on search results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ComstockLock,

First, a question: Are you using the ad preview tool to check your ad position. If not, you should. SERP's, including the ads shown, are customized for each user. Results from the ad preview tool are not.

If you do a live search for your keywords, you will accrue impressions. If you don't click on the ad, that will result in lowering your CTR. And, if you do that enough times, Google will stop showing your ad to you altogether.

It's all about clicks and CTR. If you were in a top postion, as observed in the Ad Preview tool not live search, and no longer are, I would guess your QS has dropped since the time your ad did show in the top position. The only way to get back there is to improve your QS and your CTR.

Tighten up your ad groups in terms of keywords and ad copy to try to improve your QS and CTR. You may need to bid a bit higher for a period of time while you try to improve your QS.

There is a minimum (undisclosed) QS your keywords must have in order to appear in a top position. But, certainly, if your QS is below 8/10, you will have a hard time getting your ad to a top of page position.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Placement of ad on search results

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You can try raising your CPC. Every time I launch a new campaign I usually go with higher CPCs. After 2-3 days you can start lowering you cpc. That way you can acquire a good QS and figure out how much you need to spend to maintain a certain position.