AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase match + broad match modifier?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

This seems like a simple question but i recently encountered a client of mine who did keywords like these: "+green carpets" (using phrase and BMM at once) or a keyword "chevy +car mats"

Am i missing something? is this possible? or shall i tell my client the harsh truth that he is JUST PLAIN WRONG?

Thanks...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phrase match + broad match modifier?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I once by mistake did this and surprisingly, there were impressions on the keywords. I think the system removes any non-alphabetic and non-numeric characters inside a phrase and exact match keyword. That would leave the keyword as a phrase match in the example you show. You could confirm that with the search query report.

I would not do this and consider it poor practice. It's wrong in the way that it likely doesn't work the way he thinks. Plus, it's completely un-necessary. By definition, the phrase (or exact) match of "chevy car mats" will trigger ads only on that exact phrase, not "chevy automobile mats" for example. Another reason not to do this is that you don't want to do anything to screw the system up. Help it along which means keep things simple and the way it was intended. It's not technically wrong if it works (but not the way he thinks) but things can change and some programmer could make a change in the future that shuts the campaign completely.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How about +green "carpets"? Will that work?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Wilson, it depends upon what you mean by "work".  You cannot combine two different match types within a single Keyword.  The only exception to this - depending upon your point of view - is where you have a Keyword like:

+green carpets

But then I might still argue this is actually a single modified-broad Keyword, rather than a combination of modified broad and simple broad.

What type of match are you trying to achieve with +green "carpets"?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Perhaps the question should be - What would you want Google to match to

+green "carpets"

It would have to include both green and carpets - so in effect it is the same as

+green +carpets

but not the same as "green carpets"

It all depends upon what the client is trying to achieve in terms of keyword inclusion and exclusion - there are going to be more elegant ways than trying to combine two match types which can only serve to confuse things

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While not the intent of the original poster,  it would be very valuable to have google roll out combination phrase + broad match modifier keywords.

Example:  I want to make sure we show up for a search query for "auto loan banks", but only want to appear if the words "auto loan" are paired together. "Bank" can come before or after.   So, ideally, the keyword would be set up as "auto loans" +bank.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before Google realizes the benefit to allowing this sort of match type, as it allows advertisers to be much more granular.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1 jlugbill2

This is exactly what I am looking for - or, even better - full BOOLEAN operators. Is it possible to use "OR" here at all?

The ability to combine an exact phrase match within a broad match modifier would be incredibly useful.

E.g.
+"fresh fruit" +("organic" OR "natural") - must have "fresh fruit" and either "organic" or "natural" in the search.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good example. You want bank auto loans and not bank loans for autos.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
Is there any point in using a phrase match within a BMM term? For example, what would be the difference in using these 3:
+ green +carpet
+green +"carpet"
+"green carpet"

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Apart from the fact that you cannot do this... what would you actually achieve (not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what you're trying to do)

What would +green +"carpet" do that +green +carpet wouldn't?

And what would the + achieve in front of +"green carpet" that "green carpet" wouldn't?

Are we trying to complicate things more that is necessary?

In your example, the fist two would perform exactly the same, the third would not trigger for - "carpet with a green pattern"