AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Phone number on competitor's ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a competitor (etrailer.com) in out market space that, on some of their ads, they are dispaying the phone number.  (see the image below)  I have enabled call extensions, and location extensions to try to get the same effect, but I haven't found the trick yet.  Any suggestions on where this is coming from? 

Thanks!!

J.R. Tapper

Webmaster

Reese-Hitches.com

adwords screen shot w/ phone

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Phone number on competitor's ads

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thomas Hale is exactly right. It slipped my mind that AdWords will only show your business number on desktops & tablets if it's a Google forwarding number  - not sure if it has to be a Google Voice number however. I thought it did, however a Google Employee commented on another disussion stating that it did not need to be.

Take a look at this disussion - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Pay-per-call/td-p/33480 .

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jrtapper,

Do you have your phone number in the ad copy for some of your ads?  I think there are some limitations on how many ad extensions will show at a time and here you have sitelinks working.  I can't say exactly but I have a strong feeling that is the case here. 

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi jrtapper,

From looking at your website, it looks like you ship your products rather than focusing on in-store sales. Are location extensions necessary then? Googles states that:

"Call extensions are most appropriate if you have a national service center, or if your business is not tied to a specific physical location."

If this is the case, I would try removing the location extension and moving forward with only the call extension.

More information on how location & call extensions work together

Also, to Tom's point, there may be a limitation on the number of extensions that are eligible to show. Therefore, limiting unecessary ones may be helpful.

Thanks,

BI

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Could it also have something to do with the location of the user and the area code shown in the ad?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thomas Hale is exactly right. It slipped my mind that AdWords will only show your business number on desktops & tablets if it's a Google forwarding number  - not sure if it has to be a Google Voice number however. I thought it did, however a Google Employee commented on another disussion stating that it did not need to be.

Take a look at this disussion - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Pay-per-call/td-p/33480 .

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to all who replied!  Looking closely at the competitor's number, it does appear to be a google number and not their main number.   I have found the page that explains how to set this up http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454052

Thanks again!