AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Phone extensions- Google forwarding number

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been using my client's local phone number in their call extensions in Adwords. In my quest to get more data behind the phone calls, I decided to try a google forwarding number. Now when the extension is shown it is an (855) number and not the local (651) number where the client is located. I fear the (855) number gives the image that my client is not local.

My questions are:

1. Can I somehow get an area code specific Google forwarding number to use in my phone extensions?

2. Is it possible to get all of the different area codes for the places the ads will be shown?

Ideally for this client I would like to have area codes for (651), (612), (952), and (763). This way I could show one area code in an ad group with: 'keyword minneapolis' which is in the (612) area code, and a different number for 'keyword saint paul' which is in the (651) area code.

Not sure if this is possible, but any help would be appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phone extensions- Google forwarding number

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Troy, as far as I'm aware, there are no options to control the number displayed by Google Forwardning numbers.  I would suggest that you consider the impact of the "not local" feeling against the benefit of being able to track and respond to call data.  Certainly here in the UK we're used to seeing "global" numbers for companies and it's actually quite rare to see a (large) corporation with a truly local number.  In fact, if anything, when I see a local number, it gives me the impression that company isn't that large, so I'd want to consider carefully the pros and cons.  I'm not saying the "cons" don't exist - they certainly do - I'm just saying they need to be balanced against the "pros".

Alternatively, you can consider using third-party call tracking systems that may be able to offer you a better fit for your business and tick both boxes - tracking and displaying a "local" number.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Troy,

855 is an area code for toll-free numbers. It does not indicate a location at all.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, Thanks for your reply. That is exactly why I did use the forwarding number, because the pros outweighed the cons. I am going to keep looking for a solution, I may create a Google voice account and try to play around in there. Ill update here if I can find any way to do this. Thanks again for your input.