AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Phone Calls showing As Direct instead of AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I am using third party softwares called CallRail and CallFire to track my phone calls for my clients. For some reason all conversions coming from events that are set up to track phone calls are showing as Direct / None.

I checked few things in dimensions tab in Google AdWords and I am sure those should be in AdWords channel instead of Direct / None.

Anyone facing same issue?

David

Re: Phone Calls showing As Direct instead of AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

I'm not using CallRail or CallFire but do you mind if I ask a few questions? Do you have CallRail and CallFire integrated into Google Analytics, or are you using general Google Analytics event tracking to track click-to-calls? Can you tell me what you are looking at in the dimensions tab?

If you are looking at the call report (and don't have on-page AdWords call tracking set up), that would correspond to call extension calls, where your Google Analytics events would correspond to on-page calls.

Sorry I'm not much help but I'm interested in hearing more and am happy to dig in with a little more information.

Thanks!
Amy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Amy,

Thank you for showing interest to help me. I am glad to hear that. Both CallRail and CallFire have option to integrate through their settings tab. Please see this screenshot: http://prntscr.com/7pbxwu

Once integrated, we implemented on click method for event tracking which looks like this: http://prntscr.com/7pbyjg

What I looked at dimensions tab are time and location of call and I checked same for this Direct / None call in which is showing in Analytics and they both have same statistics. I did this several times for few calls and I can say with 100% sure that those calls are coming from PPC. Also CallRAil is showing me that calls are coming from Paid Seach as well..

If you have any other additional questions please let me know.

Thanks

David

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

This is a very minor difference but CallRail uses event category = Phone as opposed to event category = Call in the goal set up. It doesn't really seem like the issue is with the goal set-up, though, since you are tracking goals. Are your AdWords and Analytics accounts linked and are you using auto-tagging? Noticing any other places where Adwords isn't being attributed properly?

Best,
Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Amy,

My accounts are linked and I am not using Auto-Tagging. I didn't realize any other attributes being attributed wrong.