AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pausing Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Ive tryed alot of methods in Adwords and have used alot of keywords. Keywords which are relivant with high CTR but 0 or low converstions. I am a little bit nervous about pausing these keywords because of there high CTR (Maybe the user was in work when the clicked the add). However it would save alot of money and help me optimise the the keywords that are brining the converstions. I would like to hear what people think any advice would be great thanks.

Dave

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Pausing Keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

One thing I would add in here would be to double check your search terms reports.  It may appear that you have high CTR on some keywords but if they are broad match KW, you may actually be showing ads for terms that are NOT as relevant as you hoped.  This could be part of why there are low conversions.

Secondly, if you find that the clicks are for relevant terms, I would agree that there could be some work needed on your landing pages.  For some reason, folks who are looking for your services, clicking on your ads are not being 'sold' on your landing pages.

I also agree with Moshe's point. Depending on what your research tells you, sometimes is does make sense to pause quite active KWs if they are hurting your overall performance as well. 

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Your ultimate goal is to sell - Isn't it?

If those keywords do not convert, as well as expensive, pause them, and work to improve the CTR of those that do convert.

My opinion...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for that. Would it be a problem with our landing page (We are currently working on a new website). However if that was the case there would be no sale on any of the campaigns?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

One thing I would add in here would be to double check your search terms reports.  It may appear that you have high CTR on some keywords but if they are broad match KW, you may actually be showing ads for terms that are NOT as relevant as you hoped.  This could be part of why there are low conversions.

Secondly, if you find that the clicks are for relevant terms, I would agree that there could be some work needed on your landing pages.  For some reason, folks who are looking for your services, clicking on your ads are not being 'sold' on your landing pages.

I also agree with Moshe's point. Depending on what your research tells you, sometimes is does make sense to pause quite active KWs if they are hurting your overall performance as well. 

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

It's better to review the Search Terms first and then come to the decision of whether turning off any particular keywords or not. It would be interesting to see which match type got delivered for the keyword which matched user's search term.

I agree that if you have some keywords with good CTR, but zero conversions, you might consider pausing them. But just before you do that make sure they didn't even resulted in assisted conversions. Many times I have seen keywords which doesn't directly lead to conversions plays good amount of role in actual conversion cycle which happens. Read this article for more details.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The keywords with good ctr and no conversions are actually exact keywords and not modified broad keywords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

thats a really good video on converstion analysis. However does it still track keywords that I have already paused?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi RedDave!

If you are getting 0 conversions but high ctr, consider revising your call to action on your landing page(s) for said keywords.

I found success creating a dedicated landing pages specifically for high CTR keywords. Be sure to use the dynamic(or custom) keyword URL, and create a new (test) landing page about said high CTR keyword. Keep on doing this until you find the best mix.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Maxroizer,

Yes I will certanly do this soon we are currently creating a new website for the business. I cant wait to do some split testing