AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pausing Ads with 404 Error Landing Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All, Is there a way to get the alerts when the landing pages show 404 error page. Actually, Google says that it will disapprove the ad when your LP shows 404, but that is not happening. Hence, I would like to get an alert in such cases. And can we pause such ads which have 404 error LP by using Rules or any other source? Please help

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pausing Ads with 404 Error Landing Page

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello New Vistors,
No, There is no rules in adwords which one you upldate about your destination url is not working. if your destination url will not work you ads will be disaproved.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Suman,

The main problem here is Google is not disapproving the ad which has the landing page with 404 error. They say it will be disapproved, but it's not happening. Thought is there any solution to tigger these kind of issues by getting alerts, instead of relying on Google for the disapproval, which is not happening actually

Thanks
Shareef

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Shareef,
Simply Say No, Adwords does not any alert for 404 error in landing page.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Shareef,

Your ad will be disapproved, but not until the AdsBot has crawled your site. If GoogleBot crawls your site and sees the 404 error, it will update the organic index but it will not pass that information to the AdWords system.

I imagine you could write some sort of fancy script for your browser that would find all your destination URL's and check them for 404 errors. The hard part would be gathering up all your destination URL's. After that you should be able to use some form of AJAX to check the status of your landing pages.

You could keep a local table of all your landing pages, then use your browser like a bot to check the status of those pages. Or you could download a csv file that includes all destination URL's, import that to your table and use it for the same purpose. I'd have to do a bit of research to figure out how to do that, but I have done that before.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I do think though that you can do this using Adwords scripts, i am not sure and i have not yet experimented with it, but it'd be good to set it up.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
HI
Check out this thread I use the same script with some modifications for exactly the purpose you want.
Thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/adwords-scripts/tHfC8nplnVk
Hope this helps
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My situation is a bit different. I've set up my htaccess file to redirect all 404 pages to a specific URL: foo.com/404page. Is it possible using scripts in Adwords to detect a specific URL page for an active ad and report it back to me via email?

I could easily redirect borked pages to my home page but I would be wasting money since my home page is not designed to be a landing page.

This link: http://www.freeadwordsscripts.com/2013/04/report-on-broken-urls-in-your-account.html only detects 404 errors, which will not show up in my case since I created a real page to handle such error.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

a nonexistent page should *always* return a 404 --
regardless of any custom-404 resource-page.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2409443

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/do-404s-hurt-my-site.html

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, I realized that after posting. so the script from freeadwordsscripts.com should work?

I also did this: download all active ads to a spreadsheet, then used Screaming Frog to detect any 404s. This works too!