AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pause campaigns when they spent the daily budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

knowing that AdWords let's itself to spend 120% of the set daily budget, i need to find a way to pause specific campaigns with different daily budgets just when they hit the daily budget. I've searched for scripts all over the place, but haven't found the holy grail. So, is there a script on that, or some other automation that could help me? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jonas.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Pase campaigns when they spent the daily budget

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jonas,

Great question.

Regrettably I don't know of a "holy grail" that will pause a campaign exactly when it hits its daily budget.

The two best solutions I'm aware of are:

1. Use an automated rule to pause the campaign when the campaign has spent in excess of X amount today. Automated rules can't run more frequently than once per hour, and they could run at any time during that hour, so there's no way using an automated rule to be sure that the campaign will be paused at the exact minute that it spends its budget. You can read more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

2. You can set your budget 20% below what you want to spend, so that if it does spend 120% it still won't spend more than your target. Obviously that's not a perfect solution because it also means that some days you may spend less than you want.

Best,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

thanks for your answer.

With the second solution involving the risk to spend 20% less than expected, i cannot take it.

The first solution has one problem: in the rule i need to set at what hour the rule should run, so for example, if i set the rule to pause my campaign when it spends 10€, and i set the time at, let's say, 18:00, so it will only run at that hour, and if the campaign has not yet spent 10€ the rule will not pause the campaign. So the only solution i guess is to create about 15 same rules, that runs every next hour to kinda be sure it will pause the campaign. If You have any thoughts on that, i would love to hear (read) them.

Jonas.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Jonas,

You're right, it's not an option to set a single automatic rule to run hourly. You could create a separate rule for each hour of the day, or you could use a script that runs hourly.

Creating a script will require a little understanding of code, but you can find lots of resources about scripts with a few Google searches.

You can use this code to start building your script: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/examples/campaigns#pause-a-campaign

I hope that helps!

John