AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pause and restart rules based on time doesn't seem to work

QSI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
QSI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since we are trying to target businesses as opposed to individuals, I put in rules to pause ads at midnight and resume them at 6am (Pacific time, I assume).  This would be 9am east coast time, when businesses are opening and should eliminate ads showing up for other English speaking countries such as England and Australia I hope. 

However, when I run Keyword Diagnosis, it shows Not Scheduled to Run for the following keywords:   Price Marking, +Pricing Gun, +Pricing Guns and +Price Marking Gun.   This was run around 8am, so they should have been running.

When I went back to check the time in the pause and restart rules, they were backwards.  6am to pause and 12am to restart.  I changed them again (12am to pause and 6am to restart), ran diagnostics again, still said Not Scheduled to Run, and when I went to check rules, they were wrong again.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Pause and restart rules based on time doesn't seem to work

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Welcome to Adwords Community!

What happens if you have two rules that affect the same items scheduled to run at the same time? Rules don't have a way to prioritize themselves, so even when you have two rules set to make concurrent changes to the same entities, both rules will run and make the specified changes to all entities. I would recommend that you don't schedule multiple rules at the same time if they affect the same set of data. Instead, if you'd like to have two or more rules that make changes to the same part of your campaign, I suggest that you choose different times of the day for the rules to run.

Also, there are a few issues you might see with your automated rules:

Rules that run but contain errors

Rules that run but don't make changes

A "disabled user" message

Visit for more info http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497856&topic=1713955&path=1713954-1713...

Make sure you are coordinating your time zone correctly with the automated rules time.

Thanks

Brijesh

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Welcome to Adwords Community!

What happens if you have two rules that affect the same items scheduled to run at the same time? Rules don't have a way to prioritize themselves, so even when you have two rules set to make concurrent changes to the same entities, both rules will run and make the specified changes to all entities. I would recommend that you don't schedule multiple rules at the same time if they affect the same set of data. Instead, if you'd like to have two or more rules that make changes to the same part of your campaign, I suggest that you choose different times of the day for the rules to run.

Also, there are a few issues you might see with your automated rules:

Rules that run but contain errors

Rules that run but don't make changes

A "disabled user" message

Visit for more info http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497856&topic=1713955&path=1713954-1713...

Make sure you are coordinating your time zone correctly with the automated rules time.

Thanks

Brijesh

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi QSI,

May I suggest a couple things for you?

1. Instead of using rules to start and stop your campaign, why not use ad scheduling instead. It's much simpler to implement. Ad scheduling is based on the the time zone set on your account.

2. Rather than starting and stopping your campaign to eliminate ads showing for England, Australia and other English-speaking contries, why not use geo-targeting and target US only (or US and Canada). It's a much more effective method of targeting. You have 2 options with geo-targeting--include search intent, location-based only.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords