AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

PLA and Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

first of all I apologize for asking such basic questions, and I have been researching this for many hours. I'd like to see if I understand the way this works. 

1. Making a PLA in Merchant Center puts me into Google Shopping. Linking my Merchant Center and Adwords creates the ad on the right hand pan of the Web Search with a picture, as well as provides payment options that will be required come October. 

2. Keywords in my product listings ad campaign do nothing, which is why it will say NO on eligible keywords.

3. The Ads tab under a campaign does nothing besides adding optional promotional text.

4. Ad Extensions is to link a Merchant Center Data Feed with your adwords account. One Merchant Center can be associated with multiple AdWords Accounts. 

5. A PLA is created, Merch Center interprets the data from feeds, and passes the information to AdWords. A PLA is all of your products by default. You can then break up that grouping (target specific groups of items) with AdWords. So that is why under all of your adgroups, you have the same ad under the ads tab.

6. PLA ranking is determined by CPC, ad/search relevancy, site/landing webpage quality, google's site ranking (backlinks and social media stuff), and things like click through/bounce rate, purchase per visit, return rate, and some smaller details.

What I don't understand is the difference between filters and product targets. I know filters are campaign wide, but couldn't I just set up an adgroup with specific auto-targets to do the same thing? 

Here's what I want to do: Create PLAs with different CPCs depending on which products are clicked. Should I use filters, multiple campaigns with one target, or one campaign with multiple adgroups, each of which with one target? Do all of these methods work? What is the best method?

Also, how can I target my audience more efficiently? Paying more for different products isn't the same as reaching a specific audience depending on their search criteria.

Thank you so much for your response, and please correct me where I may have understood something incorrectly. Point 5 is where I am most curious, and is more a question. The way merchant center and adwords communicate through PLAs is still pretty confusing to me. Also, feel free to let me know if there is anything I can elaborate on.
2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: PLA and Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
1. Making a PLA in Merchant Center puts me into Google Shopping. Linking my Merchant Center and Adwords creates the ad on the right hand pan of the Web Search with a picture, as well as provides payment options that will be required come October. You will need to do some setup on the AdWords Side to create Product Listing Campaigns.  New Campaign > Product Listings

2. Keywords in my product listings ad campaign do nothing, which is why it will say NO on eligible keywords. Exactly - no keywords are necessary, the feed data will be used instead of keywords.

3. The Ads tab under a campaign does nothing besides adding optional promotional text. Correct again.  You will need to create ads for your campaign but the only functions you really edit there are the promo message.

4. Ad Extensions is to link a Merchant Center Data Feed with your adwords account. One Merchant Center can be associated with multiple AdWords Accounts. Not the way I understand it.  You need to link the Merchant Center account to an adwords account on the M/C side.  From my experience I have only seen the option to link to one adwords account - however I have not tried to link to multiple.

5. A PLA is created, Merch Center interprets the data from feeds, and passes the information to AdWords. A PLA is all of your products by default. You can then break up that grouping (target specific groups of items) with AdWords. So that is why under all of your adgroups, you have the same ad under the ads tab. On each adgroup you can use the Auto Targets feature to basically filter the products you want included with each respective adgroup. i.e. product_type=a and adwords_grouping=b  to try to have just the right set of PLA's show with each adgroup.

6. PLA ranking is determined by CPC, ad/search relevancy, site/landing webpage quality, google's site ranking (backlinks and social media stuff), and things like click through/bounce rate, purchase per visit, return rate, and some smaller details. Not sure about all of that.  CPC, description, title, etc but not purchase per visit, return rate and bounce rates.  

What I don't understand is the difference between filters and product targets. I know filters are campaign wide, but couldn't I just set up an adgroup with specific auto-targets to do the same thing?   You can use the auto targets per adgroup effectively.

Here's what I want to do: Create PLAs with different CPCs depending on which products are clicked. Should I use filters, multiple campaigns with one target, or one campaign with multiple adgroups, each of which with one target? Do all of these methods work? What is the best method?  It depends but now with the new shared budget feature I like to go with one campaign with multple adgroups and each adgroup has its own auto target setup.

Also, how can I target my audience more efficiently? Paying more for different products isn't the same as reaching a specific audience depending on their search criteria.  Hard Q to answer without knowing anything about your audience.

Thank you so much for your response, and please correct me where I may have understood something incorrectly. Point 5 is where I am most curious, and is more a question. The way merchant center and adwords communicate through PLAs is still pretty confusing to me. Also, feel free to let me know if there is anything I can elaborate on.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SalesIntern,

Only one thing to add to Kim's fine reply:

"4. Ad Extensions is to link a Merchant Center Data Feed with your adwords account. One Merchant Center can be associated with multiple AdWords Accounts. Not the way I understand it.  You need to link the Merchant Center account to an adwords account on the M/C side.  From my experience I have only seen the option to link to one adwords account - however I have not tried to link to multiple."

I logged into my GMC account, went to Settings/AdWords. I've already linked to one account. There is an optoin to add another AdWords account. This indicates to me one GMC can be linked to multiple AdWords accounts.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
1. Making a PLA in Merchant Center puts me into Google Shopping. Linking my Merchant Center and Adwords creates the ad on the right hand pan of the Web Search with a picture, as well as provides payment options that will be required come October. You will need to do some setup on the AdWords Side to create Product Listing Campaigns.  New Campaign > Product Listings

2. Keywords in my product listings ad campaign do nothing, which is why it will say NO on eligible keywords. Exactly - no keywords are necessary, the feed data will be used instead of keywords.

3. The Ads tab under a campaign does nothing besides adding optional promotional text. Correct again.  You will need to create ads for your campaign but the only functions you really edit there are the promo message.

4. Ad Extensions is to link a Merchant Center Data Feed with your adwords account. One Merchant Center can be associated with multiple AdWords Accounts. Not the way I understand it.  You need to link the Merchant Center account to an adwords account on the M/C side.  From my experience I have only seen the option to link to one adwords account - however I have not tried to link to multiple.

5. A PLA is created, Merch Center interprets the data from feeds, and passes the information to AdWords. A PLA is all of your products by default. You can then break up that grouping (target specific groups of items) with AdWords. So that is why under all of your adgroups, you have the same ad under the ads tab. On each adgroup you can use the Auto Targets feature to basically filter the products you want included with each respective adgroup. i.e. product_type=a and adwords_grouping=b  to try to have just the right set of PLA's show with each adgroup.

6. PLA ranking is determined by CPC, ad/search relevancy, site/landing webpage quality, google's site ranking (backlinks and social media stuff), and things like click through/bounce rate, purchase per visit, return rate, and some smaller details. Not sure about all of that.  CPC, description, title, etc but not purchase per visit, return rate and bounce rates.  

What I don't understand is the difference between filters and product targets. I know filters are campaign wide, but couldn't I just set up an adgroup with specific auto-targets to do the same thing?   You can use the auto targets per adgroup effectively.

Here's what I want to do: Create PLAs with different CPCs depending on which products are clicked. Should I use filters, multiple campaigns with one target, or one campaign with multiple adgroups, each of which with one target? Do all of these methods work? What is the best method?  It depends but now with the new shared budget feature I like to go with one campaign with multple adgroups and each adgroup has its own auto target setup.

Also, how can I target my audience more efficiently? Paying more for different products isn't the same as reaching a specific audience depending on their search criteria.  Hard Q to answer without knowing anything about your audience.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SalesIntern,

Only one thing to add to Kim's fine reply:

"4. Ad Extensions is to link a Merchant Center Data Feed with your adwords account. One Merchant Center can be associated with multiple AdWords Accounts. Not the way I understand it.  You need to link the Merchant Center account to an adwords account on the M/C side.  From my experience I have only seen the option to link to one adwords account - however I have not tried to link to multiple."

I logged into my GMC account, went to Settings/AdWords. I've already linked to one account. There is an optoin to add another AdWords account. This indicates to me one GMC can be linked to multiple AdWords accounts.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords