AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Overlapping Adwords Campaign Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is it possible to have one campaign in multiple campaign groups? I want to use the groups to measure metrics via product type and via campaign type, but it seems like you can't enter a campaign into a second campaign group.

Thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Allison M;

If you are referring to the newly launched option to group campaigns into a common goal - then  a campaign can be assigned to only one campaign group. The reasoning is that  all campaigns belong to a one campaign group have a common objective (e.g. Conversions). If you assign one campaign into two campaign groups, then  goals (e.g. Conversions) could be counted twice.

Have you found this structure helpful? I personally prefer the classic  structure, as mentioned by @Theresa_Zook: each campaign is measured for its own ROI / goals.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Overlapping Adwords Campaign Groups

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good afternoon.

AdWords accounts are organized like this:  Campaign(s) contain Ad Group(s) which contains Keywords & Ads

Can you explain again what you're trying to do?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to have campaigns in multiple campaign groups. Campaign groups is new, and is mostly just for tracking (so far), but I was hoping to have campaign groups that overlapped (ie a red bike campaign in a red campaign group and a bike campaign group). Do you know if that's possible?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Allison M;

If you are referring to the newly launched option to group campaigns into a common goal - then  a campaign can be assigned to only one campaign group. The reasoning is that  all campaigns belong to a one campaign group have a common objective (e.g. Conversions). If you assign one campaign into two campaign groups, then  goals (e.g. Conversions) could be counted twice.

Have you found this structure helpful? I personally prefer the classic  structure, as mentioned by @Theresa_Zook: each campaign is measured for its own ROI / goals.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, that makes sense. I usually look at campaigns individually, but I've been working on a larger account recently and wanted to see if I can look at campaign groups to see how lead gen campaigns are doing (for example), as well as how in-stream campaigns are doing overall. I would like there to be overlapping capabilities though, because without it I can find the same metrics through filtering just as easily as the new campaign group functionality.