AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Organising keywords into adgroups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have this dilemma in my head, I've read a lot on organising keywords into adgroups and I heard many people saying that ideal situation is when you have single keyword in a adGroup with 2 different ads. I know this is quite difficult task to do for 1000s of keywords, but it would pay off in good stats.

If I had just 4 keywords, It wouldn't make much of the problem though.

Let's say I have this list of keywords -

flyer distribution
flyer distribution service
flyer distribution london
flyer distribution services

and I decite make 4 different adgroups with relevant ads, would they conflict between each other, assuming that keywords are set to BMM? Or is it better to have them in a single adgroup with {dinamic ad} ???

Re: Organising keywords into adgroups

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Armands

Here my suggestion would be that you can have upto 25-30 keywords in an ad group untill they are of same theme like you have mentioned in your example.
And if you make 4 different ad groups then they will definitely conflict with other and the keywords with higher Ad Rank will be given preference.

Hope this help!

Abhishek

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Armands,
To add to Abhishek's great answer - typically you want your Ad Groups organized into tightly-knit, thematic groups of Keywords. A main reason of this is because you want your Ads to closely relate to the Keywords that searchers searched for and there is not a 1:1 relationship between Keywords and Ads (that is: if you have more than 1 Ad in an Ad Group, you cannot control what Ad is shown when your Keywords are queried).
I do not think it is ideal to only have one Keyword in an Ad Group - there are times when that may be useful, but for the most part that is very hard to scale.
In the case above, if those 4 different Keywords were in 4 different Ad Groups, Google would attempt to show a) the Keyword that most closely relates to the user's query and b) the Keyword with the highest Ad Rank (Max CPC x Quality Score).
In the case above, I'd probably put them into 2 separate Ad Groups (assuming your targeting London) -
Ad Group #1:
flyer distribution
flyer distribution london

Ad Group #2:
flyer distribution services
flyer distribution service

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi vkore91,

Thanks for the comments and giving me clear example, that explains a lot... Before I've read your response, I started doing my campaing and surprisingly I did exactly how you suggested, but I wasn't sure if I'm doing right. Now I think I'm good Smiley Happy But I still have a little doubt about the quantity of keywords that I'm doing.

Situation goes like this... I have this keyword that I chose for adgroup "leaflet distribution" and I decided to create more targeted list of "keyword+location"

+leaflet +distribution +london
+leaflet +distribution +(all suburbs of london, there're about 500 suburbs)

then in the same group

+leaflet +distribution +in +london
+leaflet +distribution +in +(500 suburbs)

and

+london +leaflet +distribution
+(500 suburbs) +leaflet +distribution

Which in total makes around 1500 kw of the same theme, with one dinamic ad that will fit all of the 1500 kw

What you think about it?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Armands

My apologize that you didn't get the clear picture from my previous post. Now coming to your current question, first of all i would like to let you know that a "+leaflet +distribution +london" & "+london +leaflet +distribution" are same because in BMM match Google doesn't care about the series of words, it only cares that all the words are there or not in the user's search query.

Now coming to the second point that targeting keywords with "in" word in it is not a good idea in my opinion because it will increase your work for adding negative in the ad group without "in" keywords and if you don't add negative then they conflict with each other, so i recommend that target keywords without "in" word.

Next point related to london suburbs, for that i have one suggestion that you add "london" as broad match. Just to make it more clear add keyword "london +leaflet +distribution". By this all the keywords related to london suburbs will be triggered(not 100% but maximum).

Now about the number of keywords in an adgroup, if you want to add 500 suburbs specifically then divide the adgroups into various sub categories like north, east, west, south directions or something else which you want. It will help you to manage them comfortably.

I hope this helps you!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,

It helps indeed, without you guys I would be making my life much harder doing extra, pointless work. I will have to go back and delete variations of keywords that I created. I thought that BMM cares about the word sequence...

About "in" word, I understand that if you're using BMM, keyword like "lealfet delivery in london" will come up in search only if user will unput all 4 words of the sentence, which in this case would be more targeted... ...long tail keyword...

So when user searches for "leaflet delivery london", google will pick up "+leaflet +delivery +london", instead of "+leaflet +delivery +in +london"

Isn't it considered more targeted with word "in"?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes if you add keyword with "in" then definitely somehow they will be more targeted, but the point which i want you to consider is;- Suppose you have two different ad group, on with keyword "+leaflet +distribution +london" and another with keyword "+leaflet +distribution +in +london". Now if a user searches for query "leaflet distribution in london", then both keywords are eligible to trigger the ad, in this case both the keywords will conflict with each other and increase competition for yourself only.
I hope you understood my point and if not then i would be happy to help you again.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
is there a conflict if two keywords are in the same adgroup?

For instance: "leaflet distribution london" & "leaflet distribution in london"

I'm asking this, cos this is exactly how my adgroups are organised. I take the keyword and then start create the list like so...

+leaflet +distribution
+leaflet +distribution +London
+leaflet +distribution +in +London
+London +leaflet +distribution (now I know this is wrong, I will delete these)

I call this adGroup then "leaflet distribution" which targets just one keyword, but with many different areas. My logic tells me this is accurate, but not sure how it works in adwords...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, if you have one keyword "+leaflet +distribution +london" and another keyword "+leaflet +distribution +in +london" in a same ad group and if a user search for "leaflet distribution in lodon then both keywords will conflict with each other and the keyword with higher Ad Rank will trigger the search.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Allright!

I see all keywords from the list is conflicting with my first keyword +leaflet +distribution

What is the right way to target long tail keywords, then? Cos you always start with something simple, two word keyword, which in turn is most popular, then you start thinking what users specifycly might want, and you add those terms, but once you start targeting more specific terms, they will always conflict with your first, two word keyword...

what technique I should use in order to target all three without conflicting each other?

nike shoes
nike shoes ML500
nike shoes ML500 Green
nike shoes ML500 White