AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Organic vs AdWords: Should I advertise when I'm 1st in organic search?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it worth running an Adwords campaign along side the same keywords that I am already on page 1 and paying SEO for!?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaigns when already on page 1

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chris,

I think it is helpful to run a campaign for a keyword you already rank organically #1. One thing to keep in mind if people see your company name multiple times on a page, subconsciously they are more likely to click on your link. When a user sees your company name multiple times it also starts to confidence with that user. I was once told when it come to marketing sometimes 1 +1 can sometimes equal 3   

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Guys;

A pre-requisite reading material would be this discussion on the same topic:

Do you advertise when you have a high Organic listing?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV: that's a great discussion you shared.

Yes. I would say mostly everyone wants to target top three position with adwords advertising. And Seo results shows after top three adwords ads. Mostly Internet user doesn't know the difference between paid results and organic results. Adwords top three ads appears above organic results, even if you are on top in organic for the queries,user may get attracted with adwords ads as they have proper call to action, sometimes prices sometimes offers and also sitelinks, call extensions etc.

I agree with JeremyL here if user see ad from single domain more then once they are more interested to click on your ad. More times your domain will appear more it can catch users eyeballs.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

"Always be testing", I'd say. Run a campaign for a week, turn it off for another week, then on again and off again and see if you can detect any pattern.

Apart from that, please take into account that if you're not bidding on your brand terms because you rank very well organically, someone else could, and thus take away clicks from you. If you do bid on them though, chances are you'll get one of the top spots in Sponsored Ads as well, and thus reduce any chances of interference significantly.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

On of the key points I'd pick out of the other thread is the flexibility of Ads.  Organic results, even at their very best, can rarely if ever match the speed and precision of AdWords Ads.  You could change the Ads you're running right now, then change them back again this afternoon.  You can respond to new releases, news events, etc.  It's easier to run promotions, sales, one-off events.

However, as mentioned in that other thread, the key benefit does seem to be that you get more clicks and, as Calin has said, your best method of determining this is experimentation.  You need to test over a reasonable period - yes, a week should be enough - and you'll need to make sure the test is clean, which could be difficult if your organic position varies from region to region.  But with care it can be done.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a friend with a flower business. He is on top of page for very few keywords but :

1) You are missin traffic from other keywords [Later edit: similar to the keywords for which your website is on the first page with SEO ]:  I was able to identify other useful keywords for which his website was not listed on the top of the first page, and now adwords brings him clients for those keywords too. For that I was using  http://www.whatsmyserp.com/ to show him the website position for all useful keywords .

2) SERPS position fluctuates, he is never on the same position this month or the next as other websites join "the game" and receive an initial SERP boost if they build a lot of links. While this happens, Adwords Ad position can be controlled within reasonable limits !

3) With adwords I was able to bring him clients from targeted Display Campaigns on more than 70 targeted placements, for as low as 3 $ a day, and around 10 clicks a day , but with a CTR of 0.15 % . This is because his ads invite to visite the website directly , any many visitors do so, his direct traffic has increased a lot since the Display Campaign.

Think about what he would be missing with the SEO top position alone : 0.15 % CTR is 700 Impressions until a 0.3 $ click occurs. In a month he has around 20.000 impressions , and the visitors from the Display are very focused.

If from the search campaign more than 50% of the visitors have a bounce ( 0 seconds visit) , from the Display Campaign they bounce in a less than 20% .

[Later edit] And in the Display Campaigns you can also configure your keywords from the 1st page with SEO but they are only used to match the users interest area.

Re: Organic vs AdWords: Should I advertise when I'm 1st in organic sea

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Well, I would say Yes. Its worth running an AdWords along side even if you're ranking on page first. Reasons I personally think behind this are:

1. As Neha said, most of internet users still don't understand difference between paid and organic search and clicked on top 3 results which are mostly paid ads. There are much more chance with AdWords Ads to be clicked than organic SEO as AdWords Ads have more clear details with location extensions, phone extensions, sitemap extensions, Google+ extensions and most importantly clear call-to-action words.

2. Better control and specific targeted audience/geography. With SEO you've no control to target specific location but with AdWords you can DO.

3. Landing Page control: It may not be possible in Organic SEO to target specific keywords for specific page but with AdWords you can target specific keywords for specific page with better optimization.

4. With AdWords you have time control. You can pause or resume your ads whenever you wish but in case with SEO you can't though you can redirect user to different page but it lessens the credibility.

There may be many more points why AdWords is better to use even if you're ranking very good. These all that I can say only.

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Re: Organic vs AdWords: Should I advertise when I'm 1st in organic sea

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have experienced it in two ways.

In both experiences it brought in more clicks however in experience 1 ) we spent a great deal on the paid result and made money from it. Got slightly less organic results but the increased volume made it worthwhile.

Experience 2. Same as above. More volume. However the spend actually can abalones from the organic traffic

The downside to this is in experience 1 . After ) months our website disappeared from organic results due to a manual web spam penalty. And we were never able to devoted even after filing a successful reconsideration request and removing that penalty. So we had to pivot to become really good at advertising on Adwords aggressively. And now we are the top spender in our space.