AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Optimization of new "not so" enhanced campaigns

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is my second thread here today but about a totally different issue from the first.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to setup campaigns with new enhanced campaigns.

With legacy campaigns it was simple, I think an efficient way was to setup things a bit  like this:

#1 - A campaign for desktop pointing to mysite.com

#2 – A campaign for Iphone pointing to iphone.mysite.com

#3 - A campaign for android pointing droid.mysite.com

#4 - A campaign for other mobile pointing to mobile.mysite.com

#5 – 4 more campaigns a above for display network if needed.

Conversions of droid/iphone/other mobiles are often very different so I read it is a good thing to separate them to better adjust your bids.

Now I’m wondering a few things:

1. With enhanced, is it still possible to target a specific mobile type?
  2. With enhanced, it is possible to make a desktop only campaign by setting mobile bids at -%100. Is there any trick to do the opposite? To get only mobile traffic?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimization of new "not so" enhanced campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi NickS,

1.With enhanced, is it still possible to target a specific mobile type? - No Unfortunately it is not possible.

2.With enhanced, it is possible to make a desktop only campaign by setting mobile bids at -%100. Is there any trick to do the opposite? To get only mobile traffic?

Yes you can create a desktop only campaign by setting the mobile bid adjustment to minus (-) 100%.

There is no trick to do the opposite. Your mobile bid will be based on your desktop bids in enhanced campaign. So there is no option to get only mobile traffic.

Please go through the one-stop-shop for Enhanced Campaigns resources below for more information.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Your-one-stop-shop-for-Enhanced-Campaigns-r...

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you,

If for a site I really don't have good conversions with desktop traffic, since GG doesn't want me anymore to promote a mobile only website ( amazing when you think about it) Would this be a good strategy:

To set my CPC to 0.01 then to use the settings and set mobile to +%500 let say? Hopefully this way the amount of traffic I would receive from desktop would be minimal?

Also I couldn't find any precise info regarding the bid adjustment for mobile vs CPA bidding. If I turn on CPA bidding will the system continue to consider my mobile bid adjustment? I noticed that when CPA bidding is enable GG doesn't let me change mobile adjustment. However if I set mobile to -100% and then turn on CPA bidding it doesn't send mobile traffic which means to it is probably considering it in some ways. It is confusing... Please help Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi NickS,

Sorry for this late reply.

The strategy you mentioned (setting a low desktop bid and using a +300% mobile bid adjustment) will work if your average mobile bids are low.

Find more information about bid adjustments here.

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Nick, although at the moment your ability to control the display of Ads via device is limited, the ability to alter landing behaviour upon entering a site is nothing to do with Google.  Why not just detect the device/OS/Browser of the visitor upon arrival to your landing page and then redirect them as necessary to your specific sub-domains?  It's what most companies do with mobile visitors...

Don't forget you also have the option to use Mobile preference Ads in Campaigns aimed largely at Desktop traffic and these can contain mobile specific destination URLs.  For these to be effective you have to have at least one "non" mobile Ad in the Group.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits