AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Only display ads when competitors do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's my dilemma. Our biggest competitor is exact-match targeting our brand name. In turn, we have to target our brand to out-bid them at the cost of around 300 clicks pcm. We can't stop them bidding on our brand name because it's not copyrighted, and we can't copyright it because of a particular term in the name.

In an ideal world, we'd love to be able to only start showing our adverts when competitors do. Is this at all possible? I assume not, but it's worth an ask!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam M
February 2016

Re: Only display ads when competitors do?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Liam M

I don't see how that would be possible.  I think the best you can do is setup some automated bidding rules to help you stay at the top. 
You might want to check out the auction insights for your brand campaign to see what kind of impression share they are getting for the kws in question compared to you. You may find it's not as bad as you think.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam M
February 2016

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Liam M

I don't see how that would be possible.  I think the best you can do is setup some automated bidding rules to help you stay at the top. 
You might want to check out the auction insights for your brand campaign to see what kind of impression share they are getting for the kws in question compared to you. You may find it's not as bad as you think.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Liam, how are things?

Bid on competitors brand on keywords is allowed by Google, but have some restrictions against using the competitors name on the ad.

If your competitor is bidding only on the keyword (without including the brand on the ad), the best thing to do is to get in touch with them and ask them not to. I've seen cases where this was resolved with just a little bit of talk from both companies.

Now, there are countries where I've seen things taking deeper steps, such as going into justice and appealing for the company to remove the bid from your brand. This can create some conflicts, so try your best to solve this with a good talk.

I'll let this link with some rules regarding Trademark: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Liam,

I don't think it will be possible ONLY to show your ads when competitor shows their ad on search network. Reason behind this because you don't have a control over how and when your competitor decide to bid on your brand term. Of course you can bid for certain keyword and compete, however there is no way to know stop advertising automatically when your competitor decide to stop bidding on that keyword.