AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

One Word Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My best performing keyword is a one word keyword how do increase my quality score for that keyword because its low ?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Hannah (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: One Word Keyword

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kiro, a one-word Phrase match is essentially a Broad match.  Phrase matching is intended for use with multiple words - a phrase - if it's just a single word then the phrase matching is irrelevant.

"Taxi" is an extremely common word and I suspect your Quality Score issues are related to relevancy.  I'd look to using actual phrases related to hiring a taxi such as "taxi from" or "taxi fares" and make sure you use a good list of negative Keywords to trim out irrelevant searches.

If you run a limo business, I'd have thought Keywords related to "limos" would give you a better chance of attracting the sort of customers you're after - a limo is quite a different thing from a taxi for most people.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kiro,

Which match type are you using?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm using phrase match I'm in the taxi and limo business so taxi is very common keyword that people use
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Hannah (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kiro, a one-word Phrase match is essentially a Broad match.  Phrase matching is intended for use with multiple words - a phrase - if it's just a single word then the phrase matching is irrelevant.

"Taxi" is an extremely common word and I suspect your Quality Score issues are related to relevancy.  I'd look to using actual phrases related to hiring a taxi such as "taxi from" or "taxi fares" and make sure you use a good list of negative Keywords to trim out irrelevant searches.

If you run a limo business, I'd have thought Keywords related to "limos" would give you a better chance of attracting the sort of customers you're after - a limo is quite a different thing from a taxi for most people.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Jon,

What if the keyword matching option selected is 'Do not include close variants'.

How will single word 'broad' and 'phrase' match behave then?

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/quot-One-Word-quot-Keywords-Difference-Between-Br...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The results of a simple broad taxi are definetly not the same with the phrase single word "taxi".

Simple broad would include 3 categories :  synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations , as mentioned here : link

However the phrase match "taxi"    it can include close variations which are defined as : 

• Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents.

Let's see the volumes reported by the keyword planner , they are 3 times lower for the single word phrase match (setting US location, english, MaxCPC around 6.4 $ :

http://prntscr.com/1wm7wi

(why don't I have the option to insert image in the editor anymore ??)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian, I didn't say single word Phrases were the same as a Broad match, I said a "one-word Phrase match is essentially a Broad match" - that's quite different.  Kiro's question is about Quality Score and what's important here is the use of more precise terms, negative Keywords and relevancy; a diversion into the precise difference between one-word Broad and one-word Phrase matches is not helpful.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think It is helpful for him to understand that he can use the keyword planner to verify what the traffic is and what new keywords are used in the area, that is my new addition. I feel I have not diverted anything.

I say that a taxi business is a local business and this means low keyword traffic for any type of keyword.

My personal opinion is that he needs that single word phrase match to keep discovering for new search terms, as they change constantly even if the QS is low.

He has other means to improve the QS by testing new Ads or using extensions in order to increase the CTR.

The phrase match is more precise in itself since it drops 70% of the traffic he would get with a simple broad. I use many single word phrase matches and they high conversion rates even if their QS is 7/10.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I completely agree with Adrian here, especially as Kiro's question is about Quality Score.

Single word broad match will attract a lot more irrelevant searches than the single word phrase match. This has a direct impact on quality score because of the less relevancy/ low CTR factor.

So it is very important to know about the match type of the keyword when talking about quality score.

Deepak