AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

One Final URL per keyword, or DKI in the Destination URL field?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm managing a big list (millions) of keywords, that are actually product references (EANs) that users are likely to search in Google.

The ads in the ad groups have a Destination URL set to our website's home page, while every keyword has a custom Final URL set to the product's page:

KeywordFinal URL
"1234567890123"https://example.com/product/1
"2345678901234"https://example.com/product/2

I could have used Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) instead, with a Destination URL set to a redirect script:

https://example.com/go?EAN={Keyword}

This would for example, redirect https://example.com/go?EAN=2345678901234 to https://example.com/product/2.

I have not originally followed this route, because I thought that it's better for the quality score, if Google is able to fetch the proper product page (that contains the product's EAN) for every keyword.

And this worked for us, not too bad. However, I noticed in the server logs that Google AdsBot is constantly fetching every single URL, at the current rate of ~10 page loads per second. This is OK as our server can handle much more than that, but this means that it takes AdWords almost a week to crawl the full URL list.

And I'm wondering: what if AdWords needs, for a given keyword, to refresh its index say every 24 hours? Given the maximum load AdsBot allows itself to put on a single website, maybe some of my keywords do not appear in the search results on a given day, because their product pages have not been checked by AdsBot for several days? Or maybe their quality score lowers every day because of this lag? This is just speculation of course, but it would be nice to know the pro and cons of each approach here.

So I'm wondering:

• If I switch to DKI in the Destination URL:
    • Will AdWords still attempt to load the destination URL with every keyword combination?
    • If it doesn't, I guess it will load the Destination URL with only a sample of the keywords, to see how the pages look like; these will be proper product pages, but each of them will only contain a single EAN. Will AdWords penalize my other keywords' quality score because it cannot find them in the destination page(s) it crawled?
  • If I keep things as is (one Final URL per keyword):
    • Can a very long list (millions) of keywords be penalized by an AdsBot crawling rate not keeping up with the size of the list?

Thanks in advance for your precious insights!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I wouldn't worry much about the Google bot if the server can handle that,  assuming pages are not routinely updated. I am more worried about managing that: It becomes prticlly impossible, So I would switch to DKI at the URL level.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: One Final URL per keyword, or DKI in the Destination URL field?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, thanks for your reply.

It's not quite impossible to manage such a list, it's actually quite easy to keep it up to date using the AdWords API once you've written the proper code to sync the local inventory and the AdWords campaign.

So in terms of complexity, I consider the two options equivalent. I'm therefore only interested in the potential difference of campaign performance between them.

I wouldn't worry much about the Google bot if the server can handle that,  assuming pages are not routinely updated.

It can definitely handle that, it's just that there is no way to tell AdsBot that we can handle a higher crawl rate. And I've not seen a spike in crawl rate when adding new keywords, which makes me think that AdsBot puts a cap on the crawl rate on a single server or domain name, whatever the number of keywords in the account.

Our pages are not updated that often, however AdsBot seems to crawl them on a regular basis anyway, and this seems to be more or less in sync with the time it takes to crawl the whole URL list at the current rate. That's what makes me wonder if there's a relationship between the number of keywords, the crawl rate, and the potential effect on a keyword if its Final URL is not being crawled in a timely manner.

Are you able to answer this bullet point:

If I switch to DKI in the Destination URL, will AdWords still attempt to load the destination URL with every keyword combination?

Because if it does so, then there is no real advantage to use DKI in this case?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm... let me ping a colleague who might be able to help on accounts with millions of items 

@Celebird ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’