AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ONLY target Desktops and laptops.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do we achieve Desktop/Laptop only display?

Every cent spent on clicks from any mobile device or tablet is a waste of our money!

6 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
May 2017

ONLY target Desktops and laptops.

Community Manager
# 18
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

As of late 2016, it is now possible to turn off ad placements on mobile, desktop, or tablet devices through the campaign settings. You can set a device bid adjustment of -100% for the device type which you want to opt out of.

For full step-by-step instructions and details, please check out this guide on the AdWords Help Center.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

Re: ONLY target Desktops and laptops.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Roland,
Click on Setting of Campaign, >>Select Device>> Mobile Device with full Browser>>Bid Adjustment>>Select Decrease >>type 100%

You ads will not show in Mobile device.

Hope it helps you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As Suman suggested, you will be able to avoid only Mobile Devices by setting -100%. Your add will still show on Tablets with Full Browsers.

Just thought sharing this article with you http://www.google.com/think/ad-types/mobile.html

Thanks,
Balu.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
You cannot eliminate tablet devices. You can only eliminate mobile devices.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Even with setting your bid at a -100% you will still be wasting your money... There is no way to have an exclusively targeted campaign.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Key_West_Expres,

What the heck are you talking about here? It is true, you can not eliminate tablets, but you can absolutely eliminate other mobile devices. What you can't do at this time is target only mobile devices.

Setting mobile bids to -100% means you are bidding nothing--zero dollars or cents per click. I don't see Google showing your ad for free anywhere.

Thanks for your input!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Unfortunately, in talking with my Google rep. They have confirmed that you cannot solely target desktops, without also having your ad's shown on mobile and vice versa. You can bid it down, but Google will still show that ad on the "untargeted" platform. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
your Google rep is wrong.

Ask them to explain how a mobile bid with a -100% adjustment could get any clicks......

what you cannot do is the reverse... althogh there is a decent workaround which seems to work for most scenarios.

Drop the maximum bid to about 25% of what it needs to be to get the mobile clicks you need - for sake of argument let's say you want a mobile bid of $1 and no desktop/tablet bids.

Drop the base bid to 25 cents - that should eliminate most if not all your desktop/tablet impressions.

Then increase the mobile bid to +300% - which effectively takes it back up to $1.... voila!

There is so much complaining going on about the inability to separate tablets and desktops that I suspect Google with cave and give us bid adjustments for tablets soon. Thus the base bid will be for desktops and we will have the -100% to +300% range to play with for tablets and mobiles... fingers crossed.....

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Unfortunately, while I was working with another issue, I had one of my ads display, in a campaign that mobile is bid at -100%, display on my mobile...

So, for me it's a moot point.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The reason why I would like to eliminate mobile ads is because my bounce rate is really high on mobile devices. Also, my goal conversion to the -> checkout page is low. My site uses bootstrap twitter and my website layout adjusts for mobile user. However, I think my customer prefer buying the products from my site from a desktop. kinda wished Google would adjust the bids accordingly to the bounce rate. Imagine paying $25/day for mobile cpc while your bounce rate is 98%. Thats a rip-off.