AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

New ads get lower position

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have an issue which I haven't encountered before at such an extent.

I have an ad group with just one important KW in exact match. This ad group has had 2 good ads running for a while, and I now added another 2 new ads for testing with a new promotion.

From day one, the old ads remained in their average position of 2, while the new ones have an avg pos of 6.

The ads are quite similar, main difference is the landing page. They are set to rotate evenly and are all getting the same number of impressions, but in different positions.

What would you do in this case? How can I test the new ads against the old ones properly?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New ads get lower position

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Having a single keyword and that too in exact match looks bit strange to me Smiley Happy Well avg ad position depends on Ad Rank and your Ad Rank is a score that's based on your bid and your Quality Score.  Your Quality Score is a measurement of how relevant and useful your keyword, ad text, and landing page are to what a user is searching for. Try optimizing these terms.

If you're set it rotate evenly then its OK to test your ads, but if you still want to test it nicely I would suggest you to pause your old ads for a time-being and check performance. If it works well then continue with new ads otherwise let Google select your best performing ads.. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anand,

Thanks for your help.
I have this keyword in its own ad group because it's one of 3 most important KW in this specific industry, and has a huge amount of impressions. It also accounts for a large proportion of my conversions, so I need to give it extra care Smiley Happy

I know what influences the position, and I get that the old ad will have a better ad rank, but the new ads and landing page are extremely similar (like 20% discount instead of 10%).

I can't pause the old ads because I will loose many clicks (and conversions) if I appear now only in 6th position instead of 2nd...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer, I have no problem with a single Keyword per group - especially when it's Exact or Phrase matched; there's no better way to get your Ads tightly focused and relevant to the term, have only one!

However, I do think while this is perfectly acceptable, it's this close relationship with the Ads that is the "problem".  It sounds like your new Ads are advertising something different - you mentioned a new promotion and a different landing page.  It's quite possible that this single term, while working very well with the original Ads is not as relevant to the Ad Copy and Landing Pages of the new Ads, as suggested by Anand.

It's also possible that this is just a reflection of their new status.  Some elements of performance do reflect history and obviously your new Ads will have little.  It's also possible that they're simply not as "good" as the other Ads.

To answer on testing in general, if you're looking at testing Ad Variations then Campaign Experiments is really the best way.  You can do a controlled experiment to determine the better performing Ads over time.

Hope this helps some more.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits