AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

New Ad Rotation Tips

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

New Ad Rotation...

Google has recently changed the ‘Rotate’ option of the ‘Ad rotation’ setting to rotate ads evenly for 30 days after an ad is enabled or edited, and then optimize for clicks.

Ad rotation is the way we deliver your ads on both the Search Network and the Display Network. If you have multiple ads within an ad group, your ads will rotate, because no more than one ad from your account can show at a time. If you'd like to specify how often you'd like the ads in your ad group to be served relative to one another, you have three options:

1. Optimize for clicks (default): Ads expected to provide more clicks are delivered more often into the ad auction than other ads in the ad group. These higher-quality ads gain more impressions than other ads in the ad group, resulting in higher ad-served percentages. By using this option, your ad group will likely receive more impressions and clicks overall, since higher-quality ads attain better positions and attract more user attention.

2.Optimize for conversions: Ads expected to provide more conversions are delivered more often into the ad auction than other ads in the ad group. This option optimizes for conversions, so it takes both clickthrough rate (CTR) and conversion rate into consideration. If there isn't enough conversion data to determine which ad will provide the most conversions, ads will rotate using "Optimize for clicks" data. Although this option may result in your ad group receiving fewer clicks than the previous option, it will likely receive more conversions, which can result in an improved return on investment (ROI).

3.Rotate evenly: Delivers your ads more evenly into the ad auction for 30 days, then optimizes for clicks. Even though this setting is at the campaign level, the even rotation period is tracked separately for each ad group. It starts (and resets) for an ad group whenever the ads in that ad group change: specifically, when a new ad gets added, when an existing ad is changed, or when a paused/deleted ad is enabled. When the even rotation period ends and we optimize for clicks, the campaign setting will continue to say ‘Rotate evenly’.
The percentages of ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, they may not be exactly even because AdWords considers an ad’s Quality Score when ranking on a search result page and an ad with a high quality score may appear on the first page of search results where it accrues an impression every time it’s served vs an ad with a low Quality Score that appears on subsequent pages that only accrue impressions if the user clicks through to that page. Note that in general, rotating evenly allows ads with lower clickthrough rates and conversion rates to show more often, so this option could result in a lower average position or fewer clicks and conversions.
Note that for campaigns using the CPM bidding option, ads will continue to rotate more evenly beyond the 30 days.

Setting a frequency cap on impressions for Display Network ads

1.Frequency capping limits the number of times your ads appear to the same unique user on the Google Display Network. It doesn't apply to the Search Network. If you turn on frequency capping for a campaign, you specify a limit for the number of impressions you'll allow per day, per week, or per month for an individual user. You also choose whether the cap applies to each ad, ad group, or campaign. If you're advertising on websites that see a lot of repeat visitors (like The New York Times), this helps you avoid showing your ad too much to the same folks.

Please give your feedback on New Ad Rotation

Regards

Vicky

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: New Ad Rotation Tips

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi, Vicky - 

Thanks for putting this information in front of folks again.

A thought, though.... We do encourage AdWords users to read, remember, and use the material in the AdWords Help Center, but it's better to use a few rules when reposting from there.

Mainly, I'd say you need to always cite your source. It's not only improper to just take content in bulk from a different site and repost it under your own name, you can get yourself into trouble with copyright laws. Obviously, here on the forum we quote from the Help Center material all the time. If you check around, you'll notice that we almost always link back to the page we're quoting from or, at the very least, mention that the text we're posting came from the Help Center.

I would also suggest that when you want to repost large chunks of Help Center material--why not try adding some original content of your own, so that we know why you're sharing that particular material?

I'm not sure, in this case, for instance, why you wanted to repost this material about new ad rotations. Have you been having trouble understanding the new settings?  Was there something in this content that you wanted to particularly draw to the attention of other forum posters?  

Thanks!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi, Vicky - 

Thanks for putting this information in front of folks again.

A thought, though.... We do encourage AdWords users to read, remember, and use the material in the AdWords Help Center, but it's better to use a few rules when reposting from there.

Mainly, I'd say you need to always cite your source. It's not only improper to just take content in bulk from a different site and repost it under your own name, you can get yourself into trouble with copyright laws. Obviously, here on the forum we quote from the Help Center material all the time. If you check around, you'll notice that we almost always link back to the page we're quoting from or, at the very least, mention that the text we're posting came from the Help Center.

I would also suggest that when you want to repost large chunks of Help Center material--why not try adding some original content of your own, so that we know why you're sharing that particular material?

I'm not sure, in this case, for instance, why you wanted to repost this material about new ad rotations. Have you been having trouble understanding the new settings?  Was there something in this content that you wanted to particularly draw to the attention of other forum posters?  

Thanks!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi theresa,

As you told i have already given a link on below for google feed back form and i am just trying to share a few good tips here because help centre is having content is bulk so i was just filtered it.

In future i'll give links of help centre or learning centre.

Regards

-Vicky