AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative modifier in keyword text?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The AdWords editor would allow the following as the text of a positive broad match keyword.

hello -bob -[hello there]

I can find nothing in the docs about negative modifiers so I'm wondering how is this going to behave?

Thanks,

Sim

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Negative modifier in keyword text?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Simeon S,

That's a great question. It's most likely a failure int he data validator in AdWords editor. You can not mix match types in a single keyword.

You can add negative keywords, you can add exact match and broad match keywords. You can't do that all with one phrase. Perhaps the Editor will parse these and add the individual components, but that would seem risky on their part as it's not really what you asked for.

I would watch for error messages when you upload your changes, then carefully inspect your keyword list after uploading. I am sorry I can't really answer your question directly, This shouldn't work. Please let us know if it does!

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Simeon S,

That's a great question. It's most likely a failure int he data validator in AdWords editor. You can not mix match types in a single keyword.

You can add negative keywords, you can add exact match and broad match keywords. You can't do that all with one phrase. Perhaps the Editor will parse these and add the individual components, but that would seem risky on their part as it's not really what you asked for.

I would watch for error messages when you upload your changes, then carefully inspect your keyword list after uploading. I am sorry I can't really answer your question directly, This shouldn't work. Please let us know if it does!

Best of Luck!

Pete

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
The online interface accepts such a keyword, too, so this behavior is by design (as far as Editor is concerted; our approach is that we should allow anything that the online interface allows, whether or not it makes sense).

My educated guess is, such a keyword simply will not serve (that is, won't get any impressions).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Right, the Web editor does allow it. So, we can assume it is invalid for all practical purposes?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thanks for clearing this up a bit, Igor. I did think the online UI would accept this format.

Pete