AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi,

Quick simple question, would I be okay to go forward and set 'Campaign Level' negative keywords, but then also set negative key words within each ad group specific to that ad group?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Campaign level should be guard, guards.

For high value related adgroups, you can keep adgroup level negative keyword

low cost
low costs
cheap
cheaper
cheapest
inexpensive etc.

For Low cost related adgroups you can keep adgroup level negative keyword as

expensive
high

Just make sure "word" that you are adding at adgroup level should not be present in the same adgroup as Positive keyword.

Hope that clears out you doubt.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

I am not sure I understand your question entirely

Yes you can add negatives at campaign and adgroup level for sure ofcource no point in adding same on both places. Can you provide us and use case (example) of what you are trying to achieve?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi and Welcome.

If you add negative keywords at campaign level then it will be applicable for all the ad groups within that campaign,in this case you need not to add negative keywords for the individual ad groups.

Now if you add negative keywords at adgroup level then it will applicable for that specific ad group only.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

[ Edited ]
Not applicable
# 4
Not applicable

Thanks Theniks.

I have a security campaign running with three seperate ad groups,

Now, we DO NOT offer security guards, just security devices. So a campaign level negative keyword will be "Guard"

To put it bluntly, one set of devices we offer is considered 'Low Cost Theft Deterrent' whereas another set of devices we offer is 'High Value, High Security'

So for these two separate ad groups, I'd like to use a keyword such as 'cheap', 'expensive' or something alone those lines. Words that are relevant to that ad group. Not relevant to all of the groups as a whole.

I feel confused myself now, I hope I've cleared it up a little for you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Campaign level should be guard, guards.

For high value related adgroups, you can keep adgroup level negative keyword

low cost
low costs
cheap
cheaper
cheapest
inexpensive etc.

For Low cost related adgroups you can keep adgroup level negative keyword as

expensive
high

Just make sure "word" that you are adding at adgroup level should not be present in the same adgroup as Positive keyword.

Hope that clears out you doubt.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Not applicable
# 6
Not applicable

Yes, I was 99% sure it wouldn't hurt my campaign if I added both campaign and ad group level negative keywords.

Just wanted to double check with one of you guys!

Thanks for your help, and thanks Neha for the couple of keyword Ideas Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Welcome Smiley Happy