AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords still showing

SMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
SMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI there

I've searched online and the forum I couldn't find an answer to this: I've setup my negative keywords for a particular campaign and as we're an affiliate I've excluded a number of brand names at campaign level - I've created the keyword list as described and the brand names are all just one words

However analytics shows that we're still getting hits - not on the google search but from the ad network - is there a separate area to tell adwords to also negative match these keywords on networks too?

thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative keywords still showing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey SMC,

Are your negative brand keywords in exact match? or broad? if they are brand keywords that you do not want to show up for, I'd suggest adding them in negative broad match type.
Also, you said 2 lines that are contradicting each other:"I've excluded a number of brand names at campaign level" and "I've created the keyword list as described and the brand names are all just one words"
Could you clarify with examples so that we can help you better..

Are you targeting the Display network too?
Even if you have negative KWs on your search network, you will have to negate these keywords on the display network as well. Read this link for more details on this: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=105671
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

SMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
SMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shweta

Thanks for the response.

So I read the article and went through my settings.

1) What I meant is that most brands are single words. They're all setup as broad match. An example is 'Majestic' and 'Edwards' which are names of companies in my niche for which I do not sell their products, but sell similar products. Therefore I don't want to waste ad-spend on brands which will not convert

2) I've followed the instructions for setting Search & Display negative KWs. Both are listed at Campaign level and both are set to broad. This is why I can't work out why we're still generating clicks with those negative KWs

I read the part about the fact that it might show up if the negative KW is more than one word but in this instance they are not.

Many thanks, SMC

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey SMC,

I really don't understand why your ads should show up if you have put 'Majestic' in negative broad at campaign level.

Have you put this across all campaigns?

Could you add 'majestic' in negative phrase across all campaigns. I am not sure how this will help but you could just try it.

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same problem; I added a negative keyword (broad match) but when I browse "Search terms" I noticed that I still get clicks from those visitors who search terms that include my negative keyword.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.