AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords on Exact match type

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there guys!

Does it make sense at all having negative keywords in Exact match type? Because, if someone is searching using an Exact keyword, the searches it produces are exactly what the person has asked for, right? So... no use for negatives! Am I making sense?? Ha ha Smiley Tongue

Appreciate your help and clearing on this!

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords on Exact match type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

>> the searches it produces are exactly what the person has asked for, right? <<

The above statement is true in case you have disabled close variants on your Campaign Settings page. In some situations you may want to negate exact match keywords. E.g. if you run a flower delivery service, the combination of keywords

roses

-[yellow roses]

may be useful at times when you don't have yellow roses on stock. It will filter users who definitely search for them.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for your reply Lakatos, appreciated! Yes, I do know what you mean with the example. in that case it makes sense. In more general terms, I believe Exact keywords shouldn't have negatives, because people know exactly what they are searching.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

>> I believe Exact keywords shouldn't have negatives, because people know exactly what they are searching <<

1. Could you please kindly elaborate on how the 2 things relate to each other?

2. Why are you sure users always make the right searches?