AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords in Display Campaign not excluding placements

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I've been having problems with using negative keywords in Display Campaigns. I'm doing brand-related Display Campaigns with different Image Ad for every Campaign/brand. I want to have those ads appearing on X brand-related placements but not on Y brand-related placements. So I'm using Y brand as a negative keyword for the X brand Campaign, but the result is that Y brand-related placements are appearing for this Campaign anyway.

I hope the explanation makes sense...

Does all this mean that there's no way to use negative keywords in this fashion for the Display Campaigns? Is there a different and more effective approach to achieve this end?

Thanks in advance,

Diego.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords in Display Campaign not excluding placements

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I think there is some confusion / misunderstanding  of Alys' answer. 

On the display network negative keywords limit the appearance of an ad, but does not necessarily eliminate it. Since, the algorithm is a "contextual targeting",  in which the system tries to match a theme of keywords with a content of a web page - this "match" is not always perfect;

So, your ad is less likely to appear on pages with the negative keyword,  but might show at times.

On the display network the "match type"  has no effect. Try to avoid keywords that contain more than one word, since the system might not "interpret"  correctly your intent

>>>If you exclude keywords from an ad group with placements, your ads will be less likely to appear on placements about the excluded keywords that you've selected. However, excluded keywords aren't as precise on the Display Network as they are on search, so your ad may still occasionally appear on pages containing these terms depending on the other keywords in your ad group.

Read more:

Add negative keywords to your campaign

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Diego

Thanks for posting. Negative keywords on the display network stop your ad from showing on sites when those keywords show up on the page in question. Variations of those keywords would not count, and your ads could still show on those sites. If your ads are showing on pages related to a brand that you do not want, I'd recommend adding in variations and misspellings of the brand term, in case it is these types of terms that are triggering your ad to show.

Hope this helps!

A.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your answer Alys; however in my case, ads are showing on pages with the exact negative keyword. I mean, for example I could have "adidas" as a negative word and the ads are showing in a website about Adidas and with the keyword in the URL and the content in the page. I will check some cases having your answer in mind but I have already seen examples where that happens...

Thanks a lot,
Diego.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alys,

I checked once again and I'm 100% sure that the ads are showing on sites where the exact negative keywords are, not variations of them...

Thanks a lot,
Diego.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I think there is some confusion / misunderstanding  of Alys' answer. 

On the display network negative keywords limit the appearance of an ad, but does not necessarily eliminate it. Since, the algorithm is a "contextual targeting",  in which the system tries to match a theme of keywords with a content of a web page - this "match" is not always perfect;

So, your ad is less likely to appear on pages with the negative keyword,  but might show at times.

On the display network the "match type"  has no effect. Try to avoid keywords that contain more than one word, since the system might not "interpret"  correctly your intent

>>>If you exclude keywords from an ad group with placements, your ads will be less likely to appear on placements about the excluded keywords that you've selected. However, excluded keywords aren't as precise on the Display Network as they are on search, so your ad may still occasionally appear on pages containing these terms depending on the other keywords in your ad group.

Read more:

Add negative keywords to your campaign

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot, that solves my doubts. I'll think of workarounds.

Regards,
Diego.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I too had this exactly problem. Negative keywords on the target page showing my ad (via remarketing list target for display network).

Support was clueless until my 3rd attempt when they finally figured out the "less likely" part. Disappointing it still shows like this and furthers the complications of display's lower CTR and effectiveness. It would be nice G support would at least say something like, "We understand our system didn't work like you expected. I'll provide feedback to the team and see if we can improve our process."

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

google tends to read the forums and such feedback is typically welcomed.

there are basic reasons why the display and search networks
are separate and should be expected to behave differently.

for search, the targeting is essentially narrow -- search-terms to keywords.

for display, the targeting is essentially broad -- search-terms and websites;
keywords are used mainly as broad hints to align a site's themes to a user's
behavior, automatically; there can be millions of sites that might display ads,
alignment can be less exact, negative-keywords play a less significant role,
and match-types essentially play no role at all.

for search, negative-keyword exclusion works against a limited search-term;
for display, negative-keyword exclusion works against a very large and broad
analysis of websites where the negation can only play a rather limited role.

for example, if i sell android products and simply excluded apple,
google's analysis of sites that talk about using android tablets and
cooking apps to help bake apple pies, might still display my ads --
which is likely how the display-network should be expected to work.