AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords - adwords editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I've recently downloaded adwords editor to my desktop. I went into one of our campaigns and there were hundreds of negative keywords set up, some of which were not related at all.

My question is, does Google automatically suggest negative keywords for you, or will someone have had to input all of these?

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative keywords - adwords editor

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AM123, any keywords you see will have been put there by human hand and although AdWords will build suggested Groups in the KeyWord tool, I don't think there's anything to suggest negatives so they will all have been added manually at some point.

Make sure you check whether they're Group or Campaign level; although it still doesn't sound right it might explain the confusion of non-related ones...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. Yes they are Campaign level, does this still mean they've been added manually?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, but it's possible some previous person (I presume you're not the first person to work on this Account, given your questions) may have been confused between Group and Campaign level negatives, adding Keywords at a Campaign level that should have been at the Group level.  This would explain why there are some that don't appear relevant.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi AM123,

Yes, those negatives were all added by someone. It's no surprise the list seems unrelated, those are keywords you don't want your ads to show for.

Does the account/campaign/adGroup have a lot of broad match keywords? Those will generally need a lot of negative keywords to keep your ads from showing for unrelated queries.

Usually, the negative keyword list is built by looking at a search terms report for unrelated queries. Or you can use the keyword tool and block the keywords that are related to your offer.

Another approach would be to reduce the number of broad match keywords in the account and use BMM instead. But you will still need negatives.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords