AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

If i use  "exact match" keywords, does that eliminate the use of Negative Keywords ?

Thanks

Ankit

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ankit
September 2015

Re: Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello Ankit,

As Google search engine is based on searches runs by Users & User can type any term in search of what they are looking for.

If advertiser will use only Exact match keywords it will restrict many relevant impressions and clicks. If you don't wanna use many negative keywords you may use phrase and exact match keywords.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor
Hi Again,

If you will have exactly same keywords as positive and negative keywords.. you will see a warning when you hover mouse over speech bubble next to keyword status: "A negative keyword [Football] is preventing your ad from showing.
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
If you only use [exact match] keywords, then you don't need negatives.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks ,

In that case why don't advertisers only use Exact Match Keywords and simplify the whole process of selecting keywords and minimise leakage/ unneeded clicks?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone ,

Any Comments?

Ankit

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Negative keywords are only required when you have broad or phrase match keywords in your ad groups.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello Ankit,

As Google search engine is based on searches runs by Users & User can type any term in search of what they are looking for.

If advertiser will use only Exact match keywords it will restrict many relevant impressions and clicks. If you don't wanna use many negative keywords you may use phrase and exact match keywords.

Thanks
Neha

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Thanks guys.

Which do you think is a better way to start ( more cost effective )

Option 1 : Lots of Keywords ( broad match ) , Lots of Negative Keywords

or

Option 2 : Few Exact Match Keywords and then building on the List.

Ankit

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I gotta correct you guys:

Even if you have only exact keywords in your campaign, negative keywords may be necessary, depending on the campaign settings:

1. If you have close variants enabled you might want the keyword to trigger for all close variants EXCEPT one. This one variant you can block by a negative keyword.

2. If you have search by intent enabled you might want to block a specific combination. Lets say you have two exact match keywords [cats] and [dogs]. Now you have targeted to boston by intent.

Your ads will trigger for [cats], [dogs], [boston dogs], [boston cats], [cats boston], [dogs boston].

Lets assume "boston dogs" is a favorite sports team in the area, you might want to exclude -[boston dogs]

I am not 100% sure if search by intent or negative keywords take precedence when looking up keywords during an auction, but if it is this case, you might want to use negative keywords on exact match campaigns

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Ankit,

You asked a good question burt unfortuantely it is difficult to advise on whether you should use broad match keywords with plenty of negatives or exact match keywords because it depends on each account and each industry. 

As the other Community Members posted, there are advantages to using both match types. I recommend looking at the table in this article to better understand which match type will work best for you. We also have phrase match and broad match modfier which provide a bit more reach than exact match but more control than broad match and may work well in your campaign. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello Ankit,

You questions has no "Exact Answer" because choosing match types depends on type of business you are advertising through adwords advertisers.

Adding negatives keywords in bulk can sometimes prevent your ad from showing on relevant terms. While choosing negative keywords for any campaign, one needs to be very careful & should also consider negative keyword match types.

I generally start will all keywords match types and analyze performence for soometime and decide which match type is working best for my campaign. When you use Phrase Match and broad match positive keywords, you look into search query and can add all positive keywords and weed out all negative terms.  You can enhance your positive keywords list from search query.  Here you can work on both positive and negative keywords.

When u use only Exact match positive keywords, everytime you need to search keywords from Google keyword Tool, Opporutnites tab or any other keyword suggestion tool. You keywords will only be triggerd when user search EXACT query that matches with your keywords or Plurals, singulars and close varaitian as per latest update by Google. Here you won't need negative keywords.

Thanks

Neha