AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords

[ Edited ]
N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi,

This will seem like a stupid question to most of you guys, and it is... but I'm facing a mental block here.

I'm setting up negative keywords for car makes & models, I'm putting the negatives in as broad match..
Example of a negative keyword I've enterred is "Volkswagen Golf Plus" (minus the quotations)

I'm right in thinking that if someone was to Google search "Volkswagen", "Golf" or "Golf Plus" my ad wouldn't trigger?

Reason is, my search terms report shows some searchers have come across my ad from searches such as "Jaguar E Type Wiring Harness" or sometimes just "E Type Wiring Harness "

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Re: Negative Keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

If you have "Volkswagen Golf Plus" as broad negative then your ads will not be shown on any search query that consists of 

Volkswagen Or  Golf Or Plus. For example

• Volkswagen Polo
  • Golf Clubs
  • Google Plus

I dont quite understand the relevance of this question with Jaguar search queries.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

If you have "Volkswagen Golf Plus" as broad negative then your ads will not be shown on any search query that consists of 

Volkswagen Or  Golf Or Plus. For example

• Volkswagen Polo
  • Golf Clubs
  • Google Plus

I dont quite understand the relevance of this question with Jaguar search queries.

Regards, Nik

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello again Smiley Happy

If you include just "Volkswagen" as a broad match negative then any search term including "Volkswagen" isn't going to trigger your ad; so in your example "Volkwagen Golf Plus" won't trigger your ad to be shown.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

N/A
# 4
N/A

Thank you for your replies.

My problem is that not all searches have the Car Make, but sometimes just the Car Model.
So we as a business assemble wiring looms but wouldn't for cars/motorbikes. My search terms report shows that 50% of the triggers are car/motorbike related
Searches I'm seeing are

• "Volkswagen Golf Wiring Loom"
  • "Golf Wiring Loom"
  • "Volkswagen Polo Wiring Loom"
  • "Polo Wiring Loom"

So as well as adding "Volkswagen" as a negative keyword, I also need to add "Polo", "Golf" and every other model. The list is going to go into thousands.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As suggested though I would focus on getting a list of the makes from the net as this won't be too large and then get a list of the most popular models. You can then gradually add any additional models that trigger your ads as things progress.

Alternatively you can acquire lists for the models as well, just look for a database online and it's a copy and paste job.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

If I was in your shoes I would add 3 negative keywords on broad match. (Based on Your example)

• Volkswagen
  • Golf
  • Polo

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik

N/A
# 7
N/A
Yes, I did as you said with the makes. You saved me a lot of time, thanks! As for the models, I've searched and searched for that database, to no avail. The site you linked me to was for American car makes I think, I managed to find one in the UK though.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I have just thought of a cool feature in Google Drive that might help you...

1. Open a spreadsheet in Google Drive and make a list of two or three car makes.
  2. Highlight the car makes and while holding Ctrl drag the small square of the last cell down as far as you like.
  3. This will automatically produce a list of various car makes for you.

I know that you already have makes sorted but if you can think of a way to apply this feature to models then it might save you a lot of time.

N/A
# 9
N/A
I've never used Google Drive, but thank you! I'll give that shot now. I did stumble across a website just now.

Seems to be just what I need.
carmodelslist.co m