AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keyword Management

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My company has alot of adgroup which showcase alot of search terms creating a huge list of negative keywords to mine through every month. Whats the best method to sort out negative keywords in a short ammount of time? It ushally takes me a week Smiley Sad 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedDave88
September 2015

Re: Negative Keyword Management

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey RedDave,

Ita is correct, it may help by adding additional keywords outside of the search query report. Keywords are automatically added as exact match negatives when adding from the keyword report, which obviously only excludes that specifc keywords rather than a particular group, which could be accomplished by adding a broad or phrase match negative.

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In my experience, if you have a large number of negative keywords, it's because your keywords are not specific enough. You are bidding on "widgets" instead of "round widgets" or "round plastic widgets". You may also be using only broad match. Good and specific keyword choices reduce the need for negatives.

Note too that ads may be triggered on the search partners. You'll then see some (often many and most) keywords in the Search Query Reprot that are very long tail, terms unlikely to be searched in Google. You could use negatives to stop those if you wish or simply turn off advertising on the search partners. Alternatively, you could create a campaign with those keywords and targeting those specific pages generating that traffic. It's just as much work but may be more profitable for you.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

You could also try different matching options for your keywords, such as phrase match or exact match. This link here will give you a bit more info on this, as it may cut down on your need to add so many negative keywords. 

Hope this helps!

A

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey RedDave,

Using AdWords Negative Keyword List feature could help out (if not using already.) This allows you to apply a negative keyword list to multiple campaigns/ad groups so that you do not have to duplicate the process when you know a common negative works across your entire account.

Exporting the SQR into Excel and then filtering for terms that you know you dont want could help save on time as well. 

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

As mentioned above go with more restictive match types to cut down the irrelevant search terms. Having all the negatives in a list under a shared library saves a lot of time as you can apply the same list to multiple campaigns.

Exporting the data in excel and sorting by keyword term helps to quickly identify negative terms, you can mark those terms with a different text color, once you are done going through the complete list, sort the list by text color, copy the keyword terms and create a negative list.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I already split keywords by match type and they are also very targeted such as +1600mm +Bath or +1600 x +700 +bath. I still get loads of search terms in the broad search campaigns which I use for keyword mining. Geting any nicher then this and a sale is very unlikely.

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 7
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi RedDave88, 

I find one word negative keywords at campaign level or a list for several campaigns most effective. 

How are you adding negatives at the moment? Are you using single word negatives or ruling out directly from the  search terms report?

Ita

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

ruling out directly from the search terms report

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 9
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Thanks for clarifying.

Ok, so actually I would advocate one word negative keywords. You don't want to rule out 'how to clean 6m bath'* to see 'how to clean 7m bath' in the report the next week. You're best individually rulling out 'clean' and 'how' from the bottom of the keywords page. It's a wider negative rule then and should make that search terms report much more agreeable (and shorter) into the future. 

*Excuse the example I gather your business has something to do with baths. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedDave88
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey RedDave,

Ita is correct, it may help by adding additional keywords outside of the search query report. Keywords are automatically added as exact match negatives when adding from the keyword report, which obviously only excludes that specifc keywords rather than a particular group, which could be accomplished by adding a broad or phrase match negative.

Thanks,

BI