AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Need help with similar word for unrelated product driving up bid costs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there anything I can do about an unrelated product driving up my bid costs? It just so happens that Zipp wheels are $2,000 bike tires, while I am trying to place ads for Zip wheels, which are $3 and used for cutting. I have tried to use the negative keyword feature to weed out who sees the ads, but that doesn't stop my keywords from having inflated est. first page bids. Is there anything I can do?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need help with similar word for unrelated product driving up bid c

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brann,

I would suggest you to narrow down the reach of your keyword by making it an "Exact" Keyword.

Hope it helps.

Asif

Re: Need help with similar word for unrelated product driving up bid c

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Brann N,

Placing negative keywords in the ad group will not affect the est. first page bid. The only thing that can help reduce that is to improve the quality score of the keyword itself. Negative keywords don't help much with that, at least not with the QS you see in the UI.

This looks tough. A search for "zip wheels" defaulted to "zipp wheels". I had to click a link on the first results page to get results for "zip wheels". I would go for both phrase and exact, and set the campaign not to include close variants.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords