AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Need help in Final URL concept

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Please help me out who hae created their new ad with final url  instead destination url. 

We use third party software , where tracking urls are created for Landing pages with UTM codes. This is how my url looks after creating it with UTM codeshttp://pages.xyz.com/abc-lmn?utm_source=PPC &utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl). Now how to use it Final url.

As far as I read, and also with the support from google team, I understand I can put complete url in the Final url (http://pages.xyz.com/abc-lmn?utm_source=PPC &utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl). Because enough tracking parameters are already set in 3rd party software. Then in the tracking template just write {lpurl}. Then if at all i want to track some more paramaters like keywords, then I canuse custom parameters to the field. Is it correct?

Lets say I want to track keyword parameters dynamically, how shall i go about it? it should be written like this ? {_keyword}=keyword to the customer parameter field? To track which leads have come from which keyword what settings do i need to do in the 3rd party software.

What I have done is created a field called "UTM_term" in 3rd party system and thinking to add this in the custom parameter "{_Term}=keyword".  If I do it like this, will my ad work? leads will get tracked?.. loads to learn in this.. please keep me posted about these queries.

Looking forward for your reponse,

B.Dhivya.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhivya M
September 2015

Re: Need help in Final URL concept

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Dhivya M,

In that case, why don't you combine UTM with Value Track in the Tracking Template Itself?

You can include &utm_term={keyword} to your existing tracking template. Here {keyword} is a ValueTrack that will fill in your keyword dynamically. That's what you want, right?

There's no need to use Custom Parameters here. Custom Parameter is for any parameter that is not available with ValueTrack.

So now, your final setup should be -

Final URLwww.example.com/signup

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl&utm_term={keyword}

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dhivya M,

If your third party tracking URL does not include your landing page URL, you won't be able to use Shared Tracking Template at Account, Campaign or Ad Group levels. The reason is obvious that it requires {ipurl}. And if you do not have landing page URL in the tracker, you can't use {ipurl}.

The best option for you is to use your complete tracking URL in the Tracking Template, and have your actual landing page in the Final URL fields. 

About keywords, you can track it with a combination of Valuetrack and UTM very easily, something like - utm_term={keyword}

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @ratan,
Thanks for your reply, The third party software includes my landing page url as well. its a marketing automation tool, there i am creating my tracking urls with landing pages. My tracking urls are created with UTM codes not with the typical tracking software. Since my tracking parameters are created in the third party software, I need not create separate custom parameters in the adwords. (pls correct me if I am wrong in this case). In the final url field - I will add the complete url"www.example.com/signup?utm_source=PPC &utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl" ... these there default parameters created in third party software and get tracked automatically. Lets say, now I want to track keyword, here comes custom parameter to add "utm_term={keyword}" and i will create the utm_term in my third party software to capture the keywords.

Is it my understanding is correct?

Thanks,
B.Dhivya

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Dhivya M,

If your tracking URL has your landing page URL, it's all good. 

For instance if your final tracking url is - www.example.com/signup?utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl&url=http%3A//mysite.com

Your Final URL will be  http://mysite.com

And your Tracking template will be www.example.com/signup?utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl&url={lpurl}

Now if all the tracking is handled by your tracking software only, yes there's no point adding UTM or custom parameters in the AdWords interface.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan,

For instance if your final tracking url is - www.example.com/signup?utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl&url=http%3A//mysite.com

Here you took it wrong, my final url is ( www.example.com/signup?) and the tracking template is (utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl). there is no different url like (http%3A//mysite.com). please refer the image below.

Now my concern is tracking keywords, if I add keywords as parameter to track in custom parameters like 

mentioned below, will it track? does my rule make sense? how I can see the actual keywords in third party software or google analytics ?

adwords final url.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhivya M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Dhivya M,

In that case, why don't you combine UTM with Value Track in the Tracking Template Itself?

You can include &utm_term={keyword} to your existing tracking template. Here {keyword} is a ValueTrack that will fill in your keyword dynamically. That's what you want, right?

There's no need to use Custom Parameters here. Custom Parameter is for any parameter that is not available with ValueTrack.

So now, your final setup should be -

Final URLwww.example.com/signup

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?utm_source=PPC&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl&utm_term={keyword}

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for your help.. Let me try in our campaign creating that url and still if I face difficulties will get back to you.

B.Dhivya.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Ratan Smiley Happy Smiley Happy .. Its working ....

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Happy to help!

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

I am just curious to know, is there any way to find the "search terms" of a person instead of "keywords" given in the system.? Is there any parameters to add to the url to track the "search term" ?

Thanks,
B.Dhivya