AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Need Help Improving Ad Rank so it Appears on the First Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Afternoon,

I recently reworked some of my landing pages and advertisements for my business. Here is an example of one of my ads

Tablet Lessons $19.99

One on One Lessons. We can come to

you. Make using your Tablet Easy!

Here is the Landing Page: http://www.howdy-tech.com/lessons/tablet-lessons/

What can I do to Improve this? I have been reading a lot of How To's and ways to improve your Q score but it seems like the harder I try, the lower ranking my advertisement gets.

Please help, thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Help Improving Ad Rank so it Appears on the First Page

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott!

What kind of match types do you use for your keywords?
Most probably, your keywords are too broad, either by choice of word and/or by match type.
For example, keyword "tablet" is too broad, no matter the keywords. "How to use a tablet" is much better, but maybe too broad with broad match. Then try modified broad or more narrow for keywords with 2 or more words.

As Quality Score is very CTR sensitive the more impressions you get with low CTR the lower your QS will fall

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

As your primary objective is to generate equiries for your website, I would make it a lot easier for someone to contract you.

The landing page only has a single link at the bottom of the page, below the fold which links to your contact form.

Try and get a contact form visible on the page as soon as someone enters your website.

Use a two colum layout, in the right hand column have a contact form, in tbe left hand column explain your service and your USPs i.e. why someone should chose you.

Also try and get a call to action in your ad copy, i.e. tell the user what to do when they come to your website "Contact Us Today" etc.

HOpe this helps.

Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the Input.

Ryan I can see your point about making it easier to contact me.  I'm hoping most users use the "Live Chat" or "Leave a Message"  Maybe I should rework their call to action to "Schedule a Lesson" etc.

David, as far as my keywords. For Tablets, the one that has generated the most clicks was:

"Tablet Lessons"and a 4/10 Q-Score I just added "Tablet Tutor" earlier today and the Q-Score is 7/10.  This puzzles me because in my ad and also on my landing page I do not use the word "Tutor" 1x. I use the phrase "Table Lessons" multiple times on my landing page and one time in my ad. I always thought that would strengthen it's relevance.

I do not have any "how to use tablets" type of keywords.  I do use specific tablet names such as:

iPad Lessons

Kindle Lessons

Nexus Lessons

Tablet Help

Kindle Help

iPad Help

etc.

I also noticed that if I type "Tablet Instruction" in a local search, my ad pop ups but I don't use "Tablet Instruction" in my keyword list.

I guess I'm still a little confused on optimizing my keyword list and how it exactly works.

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate all the contribution. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

Still you haven't mentioned your keyword match type.

Just want to touch on the subject 'tablet tutor' keyword having a higher quality score.

You just added the keyword, so the current QS is based on the industry average, not based on its performance in your account. It will be reset once it receives 1000 impressions. And at that time the QS will be based on the CTR/performance in your account. Then only you will get the actual QS of that keyword in your account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have the settings on "broad" match type. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have the settings on "broad" match type. 

That might be part of the explanation. I'd suggest you run a search terms report 

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

and then consider using other match types and/or negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Scott,

You said

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I also noticed that if I type "Tablet Instruction" in a local search, my ad pop ups but I don't use "Tablet Instruction" in my keyword list."

"I currently have the settings on "broad" match type"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have 'tablet lessons' keyword in your campaign in 'broad match', and that is the reason your ads getting triggered for the keyword 'tablet instruction'

When you use broad match they will trigger your ads for any related keyword search - synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations.

And the same match type can be the reason for low quality score, as you will get a lot of impressions for these retated searches triggering not properly targetd ads. This will result in reduced CTR, and as a result low quality score for keywords.

Find more information about keywords match types here.

Please take a decision about your keyword match type after analysing your search term report. Proper match type and negative keywords can help a great way in improving quality score.