AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Narrow Managed Placements by Directory/Silo/Etc ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When using managed placements on the display network, is it possible to narrow down which pages your ads show up on for a particular site by the url directory structure?

For example, I want to advertise on Trulia but I only want my ads to show up on pages where there are individual listings of houses, not on pages with general real estate info or lists of houses that, when clicked, lead to the individual listing pages.

So instead of choosing http://www.trulia.com/ could I specify http://www.trulia.com/property/ and have the ad only show up on pages that are siloed in the /property/ area of the site?

If not, then what other method would you use to make sure your ad only showed up on pages where info on individual houses is to be found but not other pages?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Narrow Managed Placements by Directory/Silo/Etc ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Most big sites will allow sub categories; (in managed placements)
However; I checked "trulia", and the system only suggested an option for the whole site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Is there a way to only show ads on pages that have BOTH PhraseX and PhraseZ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can target the content of pages (e.g in managed places) using keywords, but only "in general"  by matching the theme of the webpage with the theme of the list of keywords. (aka contextual targeting).

I do not recall a targeting method to target specific keywords shown on a given page. (Similar to matching exact match keyword with a search query)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks. My general workaround idea would be to use contextual targeting for "Plymouth MI" which would be on EVERY individual listing page. That would also be on the list pages as well though and I wouldn't want the ad to show there. If I could contextual target only pages where the term "Plymouth MI" showed up AND the term "open house" showed up...that would limit the exposure to listing pages.

Doesn't sound like that's really possible though from what you're saying.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I doubt that this would work, since contextual targeting works on the theme of KWs. (A set of KWs which collectively works as a theme, which is matched to the topic of a page).

So, by using contextual targeting you are not targeting specific terms within the text, but rather the TOPIC of the page. (This is the "genuinity" of the algorithms: To identify a single topic -  the text  of a web page,  is about.)