AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

My client has a location-based service. How do I set up the campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client's service is location-based, ie the client provides the service at specific offices that have heavy-duty equipment.

How can I set up the campaign so (a) we identify specific towns and cities that someone might use in their search string, and (b) the town / city that appears in the search ad itself, reflects what the searcher was looking for?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: My client has a location-based service. How do I set up the campai

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello George,

I would suggest using non-location specific keyword (i.e. heavy equipment not heavy equipment new york). When you are setting up the campaign make sure in locations you target your desired cities (i personally prefer to traget a radius around a city instead of trying to include all the suburbs).  By default Google will only show you ads to people who are located in your locations or use one of the city names in their search.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello George,

I would suggest using non-location specific keyword (i.e. heavy equipment not heavy equipment new york). When you are setting up the campaign make sure in locations you target your desired cities (i personally prefer to traget a radius around a city instead of trying to include all the suburbs).  By default Google will only show you ads to people who are located in your locations or use one of the city names in their search.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I'm partly getting that. Not sure where to find the entry in Google, what options to select, how to make this happen. I'd be able to create a radius if I could find the right spot inside the system (ie what are the clicks and keystrokes?). if you could point me to the right place, I can take it from there. If there is a help document somewhere, let me know.

Separately, we were considering the body copy "Find a center near [Sausalito]" (substituting the town there). Is that do-able?

Last, thank you for your reply, it's comforting to see at least someone respond! Google changed their support line, I cannot get thru to a live person AND my so-called account rep has not replied to my messages.

So, thank you Jeremy.

-George

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello there; welcome;

I would target by zip code; But keep in mind that geo-targeting is not perfect, and you might find some clicks coming outside the targeted area. (Due to technical issues of assigning IPs to a specific location). In general ; that should work pretty well;

You can add the location name into the ad-copy using DKI (See instructions the link below). This is a bit technical - but certainly doable

Read more:

Using keyword insertion

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi George

To edit your location do the following

1. When you are viewing your campaign click settings.
  2. Then click edit under location
  3. Click advance search
  4. Click on radius targeting on the top of the pop up window
  5. Enter in your city, radius and click search
  6. Click the add button
  7. then click done

location.JPG

As for Ad copy I personally will run 3 different ads at a time for each ad group. By default once Google get enough data it will show the ad more often that get more clicks. Since you have a location based service it would be a good idea to try a location in your ad copy.