AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

My campaign on the display network are not performing as I expected

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey guys, how are you?

I launched three different Display Network campaigns few days ago but I am not getting clicks and impressions as I expected. In the last 7 days one campaign got only 32 impressions and other 76.

I have some ad groups and a huge range of keywords but it still not working. First I tried to use automatic placements, hoping Google would find and place my ads and then I could manage my own placements, but it didn't work. Now I am trying to use managed placements, with the help of placements tool.

Have you ever seen something like this? Any tips?

Thanks a million!

Fred

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My campaign on the display network are not performing as I expected

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fred,  I answered most of your questions on the other thread you created here: http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Poor-performance-when-I-split-out-search-and-displ...

As for the Display Network are you using keywords with your DN campaign/adgroups?

As for managed placements - if you were not getting traffic on auto I dont expect you will get much on managed placements.  Not that I dont suggest managed placements it is probably the best way to start with either Managed Placement, Topics or Interests becuase auto placements can really put your ads in places were you may not run into the most qualified prospect.

You may need to raise your bids to get active on the DN also, I see advertisers who underestimate the cost of the Display Network, especially if they are using image or display ads which generally are more expensive than text ads due to the additional space they take up. i.e. less space = more competitive atmosphere.

Topics Targeting: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1315736

Interest Targeting: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=140188

Display Network Basics: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16016

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Fred - just thought of it - here is a Wiki I wrote on selecting Display Network Managed Placements.  The article also covers how to monitor and optimize Managed Placements - might be helpful?  http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Selecting-Display-Network-Managed-Placement...

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kim,

Yes, I am using ad groups and keywords in my DN campaign. I also using only text ads and auto placement but it's not getting much traffic.

Today I increased a little bit my bid, but until now nothing happened.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Fred

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey, Fred.

I was about to point you to the same Wiki article written by Kim, now I see you've already been directed there.

In addition to that, I remember, from the old forum, some interesting threads you may want to have a look at. They feature answers, among others, from Shelley Ellis & Dave Davis, people with quite some experience in AdWords advertising, with Shelley being particularly focused on display ads and remarketing.

Here are some:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=29cb6e33082d3f53&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=5af8804f4ff896b7&hl=en

Also, give your display campaigns some time to settle down. Wait at least about a week before judging.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Kinda hard to give you exact advice without knowing what you are marketing, the placements you have chosen, the keywords you are using, etc but I will give it my best.

Managed placements may cost you a little more than the average CPC for auto because they might be more sought after domains.

Also when you use keywords in your DN advertising that may restrict things.  It can be a good thing to restrict things of course if you get irrelevant traffic but it can also restrict too much on the DN - some DN placement targeted DN advertisers don't even use keywords - just target the placement.

You may want to try with increasing the bids incrementally but give things time to adjust in between and then consider opening up your keyword list to include more relevant keywords or consider a test with no keywords at all.  Whatever you try give it ample time (at least a week) and then measure the performance.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Oh Yes, Shelley is an excellent source for info on the DN!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin,

Thanks a million for the threads from the old forum!

Regarding the time to judge my DN campaign, I set it around 2 weeks ago and nothing happened. Today I tried to increase the bids, so I will wait a little bit more to check what happens.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Kim,

Do you mean that it's interesting to start the DN campaign only with topics and interest targeting, with no keywords?

Regarding the placement, can I set auto, and just select the topics to target?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

No.  I am saying that Topics and Interests  are the way to go just making you aware that there are other ways to target besides auto and managed placements.