AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

My ad doesn't match up with my keyword wrong ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why doesn't my ad and my keyword matchup. Example I type in HP 2055 toner cartridge in my google search box and my ad that is displayed is about the HP 4200 and not the HP 2055 why is that and how can I make the correct ad match up with the keyword?

Jim

Illinois

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My ad doesn't match up with my keyword wrong ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jim,

Chances are you used broad match keywords in the ad group which has the copy about HP 4200 and they steal some impressions from the other ad group where the ad about HP 2055 is located. Reason is overlapping in meaning per match type. 

As a simple remedy you may want to list the negative exact match keyword -[HP 2055 toner cartridge] in the ad group  which houses the ad about HP 4200.

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Millman59

Firstly,

you should not try using the Google search box to test your ad resulting in low CTR. As you are trying to display ads on Google, you increase the impressions with no clicks.

To test the ads, you can use ads preview and diagnosis tool available in adwords. Please refer options available here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363

Secondly,

wrong ad displayed for searched term-

The ads are triggered based on best matched keyword. eg when you type HP 2055, ad related to HP 4200 may get displayed due to no. of reasons-

The keyword relevant to HP 2055 is not added in keywords list and HP 4200 keyword is added in keyword list.

HP 4200 has good ad rank as compared to HP 2055.

You can see search terms report to check keywords matched by searched queries.

You can refer webpage below for help related to search term report

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Here if you see HP 2055 matched HP 4200 keywords, then you might consider adding this keyword in the list. You can review all keywords like this.

Using keyword insertion:

You might consider adding the keyword insertion to show relevant ads to users. This will show your ad with bold searched term in ad text when someone searches on google.

To help you further, below is good page to have a look at-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Hope this helps.

Cheers

SJ

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Millman59,

SJ wrote, "The ads are triggered based on best matched keyword. eg when you type HP 2055, ad related to HP 4200 may get displayed due to no. of reasons."

This is partially true. I don't know if either of these responses answered your question. The way I read this is you have keywords like HP 2055, HP 4200, etc in an AdGroup with different ads for HP 2055 and HP 4200 and you want the ad for HP 2055 to show when the query includes HP 2055. It doesn't work that way.

Ads are rotated according to the campaign settings. Ad selection within an ad group is not related to the keyword that triggers the ad in any way. So, if you want the ad for HP 2005 to show when the keyword HP 2005 is triggered, place them together in a separate ad group. You could try DKI, but that's really for experienced users who are strong at heart.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

>> if you want the ad for HP 2005 to show when the keyword HP 2005 is triggered, place them together in a separate ad group <<

I took it for granted that the ad groups were set up that way. Maybe though that it was the wrong assumption. The OP should shed some light on it.