AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple ads controlled by editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to add multiple ads, similar to the existing ads without the editor decides what to replace, what to skip or anything at all?

just let me add them and decide for myself what to do with the existing ads? (the way it used to work)

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author yaniv m
February 2016

Re: Multiple ads controlled by editor

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
If by "doable in the past" you mean you could create exact copies of ads via Make Multiple Changes or CSV import, then no - I can say with some authority that you could never do that. You could, and still can, copy or import those ads to CSV, make changes in Excel or similar, and import modified spreadsheet back. Since the rows in the spreadsheet wouldn't match existing ads, Editor will create new ones.

For the particular scenario you describe, the easiest way would be as follows:
1. Select all those ads, across all ad groups (run a search for them, if they are mixed with other ads).
2. Run Replace Text tool, with the following settings;
Find text: Great
Replace with: Good
Make changes in duplicate items: checked (that's the important part).
3. Press Replace button, follow prompts. You'll have the exact copies of all ads you've selected, having Great replaced with Good.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Yaniv,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Could you please explain a little more about what you would like to be able to do with your ads in Editor? It may be something that's still possible but just a bit of a different workflow.

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

I would like to be able to add the same ad as many times as I want and "play" with it later. The same as if I add a duplicate single keyword and I get a red sign. Anyway the ad is not approved in this stage so it can't do any damage.

The best way will be if there's a column like "change type" with a selection of update / new

Thanks,

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You can create duplicate ads by copy/paste, but not via CSV import or Make Multiple Changes. The same is true of duplicate keywords.

Note that, unlike keywords, duplicate ads are not illegal (merely ill-advised) and will not be marked with red errors. You will be able to upload them to your live account. Which you probably don't want, so be careful when working with them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's the problem.

If I have a campaign with 100 ad-groups and 100 text ads, all the same but for a different product, for example: Buy AAA today, Great value / Buy BBB today, Great value....
Now I want to test a new version, using the word good instead of great: Buy AAA today, Good value / Buy BBB today, Good value.... and I want to compare the new version with the old one - I want both versions to run together on all ad groups.

This is something that if I'm not mistaking was doable in the past and now I have to find a new way every time.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author yaniv m
February 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
If by "doable in the past" you mean you could create exact copies of ads via Make Multiple Changes or CSV import, then no - I can say with some authority that you could never do that. You could, and still can, copy or import those ads to CSV, make changes in Excel or similar, and import modified spreadsheet back. Since the rows in the spreadsheet wouldn't match existing ads, Editor will create new ones.

For the particular scenario you describe, the easiest way would be as follows:
1. Select all those ads, across all ad groups (run a search for them, if they are mixed with other ads).
2. Run Replace Text tool, with the following settings;
Find text: Great
Replace with: Good
Make changes in duplicate items: checked (that's the important part).
3. Press Replace button, follow prompts. You'll have the exact copies of all ads you've selected, having Great replaced with Good.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not perfect but something...

TX