AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Moving ad groups from one campaign to another without losing history, QS, CTR etc

Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I want to reorganise our Adwords campaigns, create new ones - in order to create (more relevant to the customer) Sitelinks. The easiest way (as far as I know) is to use Adwords Editor, right? Unfortunately if I move ad groups from campaign to campaign I'll lose CTR, quality score and generally the ad groups will start all over again. That would be a little painful beacause most of our ad groups are quite old with good CTR. Is there anybody who can tell me whether it is possible and if yes - how to move these ad groups (together with keywords) without losing account (ad gourps and keywords) history and as a result increasing cost per click - and ending up with paying more money?

If not what is the least painful and costly way?

Many thanks

Jo

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Moving ad groups from one campaign to another without losing history, QS, CTR etc

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jo,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I am afraid but when you create new ad groups and schufle keywords across from one campaign to another, Adwords re-assign the Quality Score based on the account history how you have been using them inside the Adwords. Now it really depends how actually they will perform from the current situation based on how you have grouped the keywords and how you optimize them.

Results could be either way around. You can expect CTR to improve and ultimately Quality Score could also see an uplift.

Most of the times, what I prefer to see is first have in the in depth analysis of your current old campaigns in terms of CTR, ROI and Quality Score.

Identify the low performing keywords and pause them from their current ad groups.

Then group those keywords tightly based on their theme.

Draft good enticing ad copies revolving around the theme of your ad group and link it to the respective landing page of your website.

Doing this, I myself have observed hike in CTR, Quality Score and more leads/ sales for my clients.

The idea is to keep the good one going and wipe off the low/ under performing keywords.

Try this and let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Moving ad groups from one campaign to another without losing history, QS, CTR etc

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jo,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I am afraid but when you create new ad groups and schufle keywords across from one campaign to another, Adwords re-assign the Quality Score based on the account history how you have been using them inside the Adwords. Now it really depends how actually they will perform from the current situation based on how you have grouped the keywords and how you optimize them.

Results could be either way around. You can expect CTR to improve and ultimately Quality Score could also see an uplift.

Most of the times, what I prefer to see is first have in the in depth analysis of your current old campaigns in terms of CTR, ROI and Quality Score.

Identify the low performing keywords and pause them from their current ad groups.

Then group those keywords tightly based on their theme.

Draft good enticing ad copies revolving around the theme of your ad group and link it to the respective landing page of your website.

Doing this, I myself have observed hike in CTR, Quality Score and more leads/ sales for my clients.

The idea is to keep the good one going and wipe off the low/ under performing keywords.

Try this and let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Jo, 

That's a good question. Pankaj1782 is correct - if you move ad groups between different campaigns or move keywords from ad group to ad group you'll lose the performance history of these ad groups/keywords. There isn't a way to get around that I'm afraid, but Pankaj's advice on focussing on your better performing keywords are a good way to address this.

A. 

Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Pankaj and Alys. I'll follow your advice. What I thought would be best for now for my client is to create new campaigns, do what you advise, but pause the old ones (so I wouldn't use AdWords Editor). I have to be on the safe side and just in case if the customer changes his mind I want to be able to get back to the old ad groups. Cannot find myself in a situation where - I deleted the old ones - the new ones don't bring profit  - and the customer gets furious because he lost money.

Could you just please confirm that it is allowed to create a new identical ad group in different campaign with identical or almost identical keywords and keep one of them paused (to test performance)? To be honest I already did that and AdWords seems to accept it. Just wanted to confirm it with experts.

Many thanks

Jo

Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj, if possible could you please answer the following? Many thanks in advance.

Thank you Pankaj and Alys. I'll follow your advice. What I thought would be best for now for my client is to create new campaigns, do what you advise, but pause the old ones (so I wouldn't use AdWords Editor). I have to be on the safe side and just in case if the customer changes his mind I want to be able to get back to the old ad groups. Cannot find myself in a situation where - I deleted the old ones - the new ones don't bring profit  - and the customer gets furious because he lost money.

Could you just please confirm that it is allowed to create a new identical ad group in different campaign with identical or almost identical keywords and keep one of them paused (to test performance)? To be honest I already did that and AdWords seems to accept it. Just wanted to confirm it with experts.

Many thanks

Jo

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Jo,

Could you just please confirm that it is allowed to create a new identical ad group in different campaign with identical or almost identical keywords and keep one of them paused (to test performance)

You can always test the performance of your account, but make sure you don't include duplicate keywords and try to run only the unique ones.

Adding duplicate or similar keywords across your campaigns is certainly not considered a good practice. We need to understand here that only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad. Hence if you include duplicate keywords among different ad groups, it will end up nowhere.

One exception to this would be if you target 2 similar campaigns (in the sense that they have same keywords, ad groups, ads etc...) in different geographical areas, then there is no problem because your target areas are different although campaigns are same.

My best advice to you would be to stick to the basics as I mentioned in my prior post and then see what optimization strategy would be profitable for you.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Jo
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj, when you say 'Identify the low performing keywords and pause them from their current ad groups' do you mean pause those ones that never got any click  (even though they have hight quality score)?

What about those ones that get a lot of clicks but have a quality score of 4? We have such keywords - they get highest amount of clicks - and in the most important campaigns! Would you suggest anything? I tried to opimise them but still they are qs 4.

Could you please respond today if possible?

Many thanks

Jo 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello Jo,

As I said earlier, low performing keywords could be in terms of low QS, low CTR, low ROI. It is actually how you treat those keywords because advertiser knows about the good parts and bad parts of their Adwords accounts.

When you say QS of 4 with high clicks, are those clicks really relevant in the sense how are the search terms associated with those keywords? If you have linked your Adwords with Google Analytics, check their avg. time on site, bounce rate etc..

If your keywords are not assisting in any conversions for be it assisted or a direct conversion, then you seriously need to review your strategy. That's my point of view.

Another important factor is that your QS will improve slowly and steadily as it's a slow process. So keep optimizing your account and work in uplifting the QS. But remember your ultimate goal should be high ROI in my opinion.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Completely agree with Pankaj.

You should be optimizing your campaign bearing in mind your objectives.

If your campaign is oriented to sales or leads, you should focus on ROI.
If your campaign is oriented to Brand Awareness, you should focus on impressions and impressions share.
However, if your campaign is oriented to "Drive-to-site" you should focus on clicks and CTR, and then try to understand the quality of the traffic you are gathering.

Hope I had helped you out.

Thank you.

Tiago Almeida