AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Most popular image ad sizes for Display Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Before going all in with a huge expense of creating dozens of ad creatives in multiple sizes, I want to create a few image ads in the most popular size that will get the most impressions, then adjust accordingly.

I assume the most popular image ads sizes are 200 x 200 and 250 x 250. 

Is this assumption correct?

None of the data I have on my accounts give me any accuracy on this figure.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Most popular image ad sizes for Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RC,

If you have a plan for where you're going to advertise (specific placements etc...), perhaps you could check out Ad Planner to see what sizes are available...I don't have any data on most popular that will help you specifically and you know what they say about assumptions... Smiley Happy

Just a thought for you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was on an internet marketing seminar last week and it seems that the research to date suggests that size 300 x 250 is the most successful

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to http://www.robolizard.com/google-display-advertising-banner-sizes/ the Most Popular Banner Ad Sizes are

• 300×250
  • 200×200
  • 728×90
  • 160×600

But on the other side their data may be outdated since Oct. 2013. hence I went ahead and created a new set of ads with Google AdWords image ad creator. Guess what? ... Google usally does not offer the generation the sizes 200x200 or 250x250. So here is my personal list of preferred sizes

• 300×250 (optionally also 250 x 250)
  • 336 x 280
  • 728×90 (banner)
  • 160×600 (skyscraper)

As you can see I also chose the bigger ones, although Google offers smaller banner sizes (468 × 60 and 120 × 600). You may say I won't get sufficient coverage using only bigger images, and my response is:

1. There are plenty of webs out there to get enough traffic, but if I need more, I may chose smaller images
  2. Bigger images will also render a better CTR, hence lower the CPC, and Google will serve my ads more than others.
  3. I may Run a test, for minimum a week or two, to see what sites convert well with smaller images. If this is the case I will user smaller images for very targeted sites.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The top 3 banner sizes comprise nearly 80% of all served ad impressions.

The top 10 combined make up 90% of all ad impressions.

These are the top 10 banner sizes ranked by impression share:

1. Medium Rectangle: 300×250
2. Leaderboard: 728×90
3. Wide Skyscraper: 160×600
4. Banner 468x60
5. Skyscraper 120x600
6. Rectangle 300x100
7. Micro Bar 88x31
8. Half-Page 300x600
9. Large Rectangle 336x280
10. Mobile Leaderboard 320x50

[Edited by a Community Manager - violating Community Guidelines]

Hope this answers your questions.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Razor Clicks

Actually , google does provide a list of Top performing banner sizes ( I think in terms of click volume and availability across all publishers) :

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002621?hl=en#top

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The link you posted is for Google Adsense publishers. As a publisher you get to decide which formats to implement on your site.

However, as an Adwords advertiser it's important to create the most supported banner sizes based on actual impression share.

The list I posted above is based on Google's study about display advertising trends and reflects the actual impression share on Google's display networks.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
The statistics are pretty similar, actually I don't see a big difference. If a certain ad size works for a publisher, it should work for an advertiser. Both of them have one goal in common "Clicks" or "Impressions.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Thanks Adrian, Stefan, Ahmed and Tommy for adding your thoughts. True Community spirit.

Most popular image ad sizes for Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a list of the top performing banners for ADSENSE. Performance for Google Adsense probably includes a revenue dimension, meaning that the top performing ads for Adsense may not be the same as for Google Adwords.