AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Modified broad versus phrase match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am just starting to use the plus operator in broad modified keywords. I was surpised to see after a week that the same keywords with "plus" in front have both lower views and lower CTR than the phrase match words used one week before. It may be time sensitive, too short to make a decision...

But.... I want to understand the principle behind it.

Modified broad keywords means the words are shown in either order (sport shoes, shoes sport) and the phrase match keeps the stated order (sport shoes). Is this the only difference? Is it something else that I dont comprehend?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex S
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That's pretty much it... except with BMM you would also get "shoes to play sport in" and "sports you need special shoes to play"  - crappy examples, I know, but you get the picture.

Generally, you can cover a wealth of phrase match keywords with just one or two BMM which makes it much easier to cover the bases.

I tend to use only BMM and exact now - I start with BMM and if I find a number of the same search term in the search query reports I'll pull that out as an exact match.

As for the difference in Volume - I've not really seen that. Hopefully, others will chime in.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex S
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That's pretty much it... except with BMM you would also get "shoes to play sport in" and "sports you need special shoes to play"  - crappy examples, I know, but you get the picture.

Generally, you can cover a wealth of phrase match keywords with just one or two BMM which makes it much easier to cover the bases.

I tend to use only BMM and exact now - I start with BMM and if I find a number of the same search term in the search query reports I'll pull that out as an exact match.

As for the difference in Volume - I've not really seen that. Hopefully, others will chime in.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I also tend to stick mostly with BMM and Exact. Phrase is only useful for when the word order is meaningful. 

When building a new account I use Exact when I know it will get a lot of impressions, and BMM to catch all the rest. From looking at the BMM search terms I can decide on making exacts from any search terms that get a lot of impressions, clicks or conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. I've got the picture.