AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Modified broad v exact match

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I read an article once with a very interesting technique for Adwords. The user stated that he would have to lists of the same keywords in one campaign. For example in a car add he would have +red +cars and [red cars]. The idea being that you can target people who put in the exact match while mopping up the rest with the modified match. He said to stop these two keywords manipulating each other you should bid higher on the exact match and lower on the modified match. Another advantage of this technique is you can then keyword mine thanks to the broad match. I’ve been doing this technique for a while and found it quite effective. However my keywords have got to a point where the modified matches are more likely to make a conversion then my exact. So naturally I want to bid higher on them. I was just wondering if it really makes a difference if the exact match and modified broad match have the same bid. They won’t really cancel each other out because one is an exact match of that word and the other is a modified version of that word.

Is this correct?

Cheers

Dave

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Modified broad v exact match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

You can solve your issue by

1. Seperate each match type in to two different ad groups.

2. Put the exact match keywords ( [red cars] ) as a negative keyword in your modified broad match ad group. (This will prevent your modified broad match keywords from appearing for exact match queries.)

Now you can experiment with bids to get the best result for your campaign.

Hope this helps.

Info

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Info,

Yes that is something the original article suggested. I was kind slightly hesitant because I have over 50 ad groups already but I suppose it is going to be something that will pay off in the end. Do many other people use this technique? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How would I adjust the budget for the two seperate campaigns to begin with. Split them at first and see how it goes? Smiley Frustrated 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dave,

If you can split the match types in to seperate campaigns then that will be great (you can use match type specific seperate ad groups with in the same campaign).

If you are splitting keywords in to two campaigns based on match types, it will be sensible to allocate more budget to extended broad match campaign as it will attract more queries than exact match campaign.

Info

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
If you want to keep both match keywords in same adgroup then I will suggest to bid higher on exact match.
For broad match, see the search query and add the converting keywrods as exact match & higher bid. Over the time you will get most of the converting keywords and you can bid each keywords and that will be more Controlled.
Use broad match modifier to get more keywords ideas.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

ive tryed spliting them up but the by puting the negative keyword [red car] is actully blocking the +red +car keyword

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

this is the article http://www.ppchero.com/broad-modified-campaigns-and-exact-match-negatives/

i dont understand this line either 

The Exact Match Negatives list should include exact match negatives for every keyword you have in your exact match campaign."

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi RedDave,

This message you are seeing is what you want actually.  The diagnosis tools can only assume exact match, they cannot assume any additional/expanded search terms on broad, modified broad or phrase match. So when you check on your +red +car keyword, the diagnosis tool uses an implied 'red car' search term, which you have set up to not trigger ads in this specific campaign/ad group via use of a negative exact match keyword and due to the presence of the positive exact match keyword in another campaign/ad group.

What you should do is check the ad preview tool and run two searches/tests.  One for 'red car', this should trigger your ads from the exact match campaign/ad group. Then try a search for 'buy red car' or some other terms that would trigger your ads from the modified broad match campaign/ad group.  This second test should trigger that modified broad match ad group. 

I've always felt that this technique (embedded negative keywords) is a good one to employ especially if you want to control the flow of your ads in this manner, but the messaging is certainly odd if you don't fully understand how the tools operate on the back end.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi RedDave,

On your second point/question, I didn't read the article but I think I understand what you're asking.

Sample Set Up

Ad Group #1 - Exact Match

[red car]
[blue car]

[green car]

Ad Group #2 - Modified Broad Match

+red +car
+blue +car

+green +car

Negative Keywords for ad group #2 (all of the keywords in your exact match ad group added as negative exact match)

-[red car]
-[blue car]

-[green car]

Does that help?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’